Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Reactor - how good is it?
I listened to this new unit at Devialet Rue Reaumur. It's a bit of a marvel. The normal Phantom does not appeal to me as a stereo system, but as a standalone music source it's discreet and creates a big, pure sound. It's ridiculously good value for money. I'm ttemoted to go and get one tomorrow.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(13-Oct-2018, 17:54)ssfas Wrote: I listened to this new unit at Devialet Rue Reaumur. It's a bit of a marvel. The normal Phantom does not appeal to me as a stereo system, but as a standalone music source it's discreet and creates a big, pure sound. It's ridiculously good value for money. I'm ttemoted to go and get one tomorrow.

Please do buy one, and post a thorough review here at Devialetchat!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(13-Oct-2018, 18:06)ragwo Wrote:
(13-Oct-2018, 17:54)ssfas Wrote: I listened to this new unit at Devialet Rue Reaumur. It's a bit of a marvel. The normal Phantom does not appeal to me as a stereo system, but as a standalone music source it's discreet and creates a big, pure sound. It's ridiculously good value for money. I'm ttemoted to go and get one tomorrow.

Please do buy one, and post a thorough review here at Devialetchat!

+1

I am also very tempted. The smaller size of the Reactor is a big pull. I will probably go for the 900 version though.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I realised after posting that they are closed on Sunday. We went to the Palais Garnier tonight and they had a shop there and it was open till 8 when the ballet started, and my wife would not have appreciated me sitting through a show and a very nice dinner afterwards (Drouant) with a loudspeaker in a box. Anyway I had to carry her back to the hotel and had my hands full.

Anyway, I was told it has all the same tech inside, ADH etc, and it is very small, smaller than my old Sonos Play, and it really creates a great sound. It would raise a smile from the most hardened audiophile.

I don't think I would use it in a stereo pair. The guy at Reaumur said it's ideal as a bedroom or office unit, anywhere in the house, and it can make enough noise for a party at home. My kids, 18 and 21, would love it and I can see that as a target audience. It is an ideal PA unit for an office, store, etc. The key is that it goes loud without distortion.

I just checked and it is not for sale for a month, but Garnier is open tomorrow and I may pop in for another demo.

At Reaumur I asked about the Expert app and they told me there is a universal app in the pipeline, and plenty of other Expert developments coming., It has not been forgotten.

I have no idea how they can make something as good as Reactor and sell it for 990 Euro. I would expect it to be very successful.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
https://flic.kr/p/2aW5cc5
https://flic.kr/p/2aW5cr3

I went to have a listen and we had the place to ourselves for 20 minutes. general observations are excellent dispersion, detailed sound even at about 90% volume level with the 900w unit, incredible carry - still great standing 10m away. The main thing is that you can pick it up with one hand. The regular Phantom is big and heavy. Another that you can use the optical input and have it as a centre speaker for TV. It would replace my Sonos Soundbar. I'd have bought one on the spot.
How was the software?
(14-Oct-2018, 13:06)Waiski Wrote: How was the software?

Didn't look at it. The guy in the store was doing it from a Spotify playlist.
Since it’s made by Devialet, Reactor is just about guaranteed to be absolutely spectacular.