Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Remote Modification - adding mass
This is just FYI for those who may be interested. 

I find the Phantom Remote to be a nice little bugger except that it feels a bit lightweight for me.  At 6.5 ounces, it feels like a moderately weighted piece of plastic.  Granted, it is a beautiful design and nicely made of polycarbonate and steel but it feels like it can tip when I just gently bump it or turn the top with just a bit of push turn. Basically I have to think about changing the volume so as not to risk tipping or pushing the unit off my very narrow workspace.

So opening it (thanks Sleach) I find that there is quite a bit of room inside the base as I had hoped.  

I loaded it with some tungsten weights I had and it is 13.7 ounces.  I ran out of tungsten weight but will get more as I am shooting for 16 oz.  

I will say this - the heavier weight really changes the feel of the unit for me when I turn the knob. Quite drastically really.  It now feels like a solid chunk block of metal. The fact that the weight is at the bottom makes it resistant to tipping to moving around even if I push against it. 

Easy mod.
Nice.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tungsten weights? What are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tungsten is a very dense metal. 1.7 times denser than lead.

So whatever made of Tungsten that will fit in there. It's not super cheap like lead. I'm thinking of various techniques to add Tungsten a bit better. Right now, my is make shift but it already much nicer is feel. So I would say $7/ounce of added weight. If you add 10 ounces, $70. I just happened to have some lying around.