Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom/Spark Update Help
Hi everyone,
I got two Silver Phantoms and a Dialog right after they came out in the US, I guess it was late 2015 or so. After all the trials and tribulations of getting them setup and working without error, I finally settled in and have enjoyed them for years. I hadn't needed to check back here in quite some time either. But I got an email on 3/24/21 from Devialet about a software update that features Airplay 2 and RAAT from Roon. I've been using Spark the whole time but as I dove in I realized there is a new Devialet app, which looks like it leads to a full on update of my Phantoms and Dialog. When it reminds me the update is irreversible, I come here and stumbled onto the DOS 1 vs DOS 2 talk, and now I'm simply trying to ask you guys: Should I do this update? I have a fairly old Phantoms, they sound pretty good.... I really only use Spotify Connect or an optical cable for my TV. Airplay would be cool I guess but the Spotify Connect (generally) works pretty well. I'm all about an update that makes things better, but as an Apple iPhone user, I have learned it's not always best to do updates. It would be fun to use a new app rather than Spark, but I don't know. 

My dialog and Phantoms are Firmware 1.14.0.18.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
My Silvers are the same vintage .
I updated them to dos2 a couple of months ago.it was an easy process and they work well on dos2 ..as they did on spark eventually.
I like dos2 and find the night mode is more usable as it doesn't kill the bass as much as it did before..
I think they actually sound even better on dos2 but that could be my imagination I guess.
Yep, I vote do it.
(30-Mar-2021, 02:00)ThorMordecai Wrote: Hi everyone,
I got two Silver Phantoms and a Dialog right after they came out in the US, I guess it was late 2015 or so. After all the trials and tribulations of getting them setup and working without error, I finally settled in and have enjoyed them for years. I hadn't needed to check back here in quite some time either. But I got an email on 3/24/21 from Devialet about a software update that features Airplay 2 and RAAT from Roon. I've been using Spark the whole time but as I dove in I realized there is a new Devialet app, which looks like it leads to a full on update of my Phantoms and Dialog. When it reminds me the update is irreversible, I come here and stumbled onto the DOS 1 vs DOS 2 talk, and now I'm simply trying to ask you guys: Should I do this update? I have a fairly old Phantoms, they sound pretty good.... I really only use Spotify Connect or an optical cable for my TV. Airplay would be cool I guess but the Spotify Connect (generally) works pretty well. I'm all about an update that makes things better, but as an Apple iPhone user, I have learned it's not always best to do updates. It would be fun to use a new app rather than Spark, but I don't know. 

Difficult one.  The upgrade DOS 1 to DOS 2 has gone very smoothly for some people (like me) but has introduced chronic system stability problems for others (see the 2.12.5 and the problem returns thread).  It seems that most of the folks still experiencing problems have have Gold Phantoms but this is just anecdotal and based on a very small sample so I wouldn't read too much into it.  So there is clearly a risk to upgrading which rules out a blanket recommendation imo.  

What do you stand to gain?  Well, I would argue in your case not much (see the full list here).  Both the use cases you identify (Spotify and Optical) work pretty much as before, as do Bluetooth, Airplay 1 and UPnP.  You gain a (much) nicer app, Airplay 2, Roon RAAT (that was the killer use case for me) and some other minor things.  You also lose a few quite major things: Windows and Mac clients, and support for local files and playlists, Internet Radio and streaming sources like Tidal, Qobuz and Deezer.  You just *might* also lose the system stability you have enjoyed all these years..

So since upgrading is neither risk-free nor reversible I would suggest you think carefully about your use cases and weigh the pros and cons.

Hi,

If your Dialog is from 2015, it is probably not Airplay capable. If that is the case you are better of not upgrading.
(31-Mar-2021, 03:57)Syver Wrote:

Hi,

If your Dialog is from 2015, it is probably not Airplay capable. If that is the case you are better of not upgrading.

Good point. Airplay support was introduced in mid-2016, first in the Gold Phantoms and then subsequently in the Classic and Silver models and a “V2” Dialog. This involved hardware changes and is not retrofittable. Since both your Phantoms and your Dialog predate that by some margin they will not be able to support Airplay (1 or 2) through any software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For reference airplay silver units serials end with EW08 or later. Any silver with EW02 is Bluetooth but no airplay
(01-Apr-2021, 15:35)TechGuy Wrote: For reference airplay silver units serials end with EW08 or later.  Any silver with EW02 is Bluetooth but no airplay

And don't forget the earliest ZigBee ones without Bluetooth like my two Silver from early 2015.
Still pondering if I'm going to upgrade them...
(02-Apr-2021, 15:06)EvPa Wrote:
(01-Apr-2021, 15:35)TechGuy Wrote: For reference airplay silver units serials end with EW08 or later.  Any silver with EW02 is Bluetooth but no airplay

And don't forget the earliest ZigBee ones without Bluetooth like my two Silver from early 2015.
Still pondering if I'm going to upgrade them...
Are you sure they're upgradable? As I understand the earliest version isn't DOS2 compatible.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I did a stupid thing and uploaded a fresh firmware to the phantom with serial number ew02. Now the device is controllable, it even shows that the signal is on, but there is no sound at all. And during initialization (power on), instead of movement, only a quiet rustle from the subwoofers. Is there any way to get the old firmware back? Sorry for grammatical mistakes - English is not my native language
(03-Apr-2021, 16:51)piter Wrote: I did a stupid thing and uploaded a fresh firmware with the serial number ew02 to the phantom. Now the device is controllable, it even shows that the signal is on, but there is no sound at all. And during initialization (power on), instead of movement, only a quiet rustle from the subwoofers. Is there any way to get the old firmware back? Sorry for grammatical mistakes - English is not my native language

Sorry for your troubles. How did you update the speakers? Did you get hold of a firmware image? I have the old 2.9.0 firmware somewhere, but I haven't tried two install it and it's very likely to brick your speakers. Have you tried to reset the speakers or tried to force a reinstallation of the firmware? There's a how to somewhere here on Devialetchat.com, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:
Here's how to downgrade to 2.11.5. Which firmware are you using now?
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...2#pid99562
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage