Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Usage with Mac only
So. . if I get a Phantom and don't have a dialog I can play to it from any Mac based player via "air" or "wifi" like with my D200? Can I fire up JRiver or Roon and play to the Phantom with same quality sound as connecting a streamer? I am thinking of replacing my office bookshelf system (amp, speakers, sub, and Sonos connect) with a singled Phantom.

Thanks
Adam
No it does not work like that. You must use the Devialet Spark application which makes all the music on your Mac accessible to the Phantom. You can browse the music on your Mac from any other device (smartphone, tablet) or the Mac itself and play it on the Phantom.
Bluetooth is supposed to be activated with the next firmware update. That might be another solution if you want to keep using JRiver and Roon. However using Bluetooth prohibits listening to any HD content in all its HD glory.
Thanks. Do I need a dialog to play:
HD music on my NAS
Qobuz
Tidal

Or does the spark app take care of it?

Adam
You can play Tidal through a PC/MAC using the optical input. If you don't want to use a PC/MAC, you then need a Dialog. If you need stereo (2 x Phantom), then you MUST have a Dialog.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
Could also use the Bluetooth input and play Tidal/Spotify etc through a Tablet. Unlike the rest of the inputs which require Spark, when you're connected on Bluetooth anything you do on the tablet plays through the phantom be it a streaming app, or just the click of the keyboard when your messaging someone.
(07-Sep-2015, 22:35)Butuz Wrote: Could also use the Bluetooth input and play Tidal/Spotify etc through a Tablet.   Unlike the rest of the inputs which require Spark, when you're connected on Bluetooth anything you do on the tablet plays through the phantom be it a streaming app, or just the click of the keyboard when your messaging someone.

That's good to know. I'm looking forward to use audio from browser; spotify... so Bluetooth seems like the solution when just discovering audio.  Can you mute the keyboard's sound from the tablet? I assume that would help a lot. Who would need to constantly listen to all those bunch of clicks, specially if you're also listening to music.

Thanks.
(07-Sep-2015, 23:09)Dvlt PhD Wrote: Can you mute the keyboard's sound from the tablet? I assume that would help a lot.

You can, though the procedure to do so will differ depending on your tablet's OS.
(09-Sep-2015, 00:19)EvPa Wrote:
(07-Sep-2015, 23:09)Dvlt PhD Wrote: Can you mute the keyboard's sound from the tablet? I assume that would help a lot.

You can, though the procedure to do so will differ depending on your tablet's OS.

I don't have one, yet, but I plan to get an iOS one?

Thanks.
(09-Sep-2015, 18:58)Dvlt PhD Wrote: I don't have one, yet, but I plan to get an iOS one?

Thanks.

iOS:
Settings -> Sounds -> "Keyboard Clicks"
I tried to stream to apple tv, but apple tv and my mac don't really like each other when connected in audio mode only (preference/ sound / select device) Music will interrupt randomly. but anyway using apple tv is not a very audiophile solution (without starting to discuss what has already been discussed)
so it is better u use spark (yes, i know the pain) to read directly your local files in the mac.