Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom abominations
(16-Oct-2015, 00:54)mauidan Wrote: What PS Audio product competes with the Phantom?
Well, they manufacture amplifiers/DACs/Stream players, so, if you buy a Phantom you don't need any of their equipments... That sounds enough competition for me... Wink
(16-Oct-2015, 13:42)yesgrey Wrote:
(16-Oct-2015, 00:54)mauidan Wrote: What PS Audio product competes with the Phantom?
Well, they manufacture amplifiers/DACs/Stream players, so, if you buy a Phantom you don't need any of their equipments... That sounds enough competition for me... Wink

Exactly! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

There would also be competition from the Devialet Expert line.

I looked at the link provided and the quote is definitely from Paul. He also included Meridian in his trashing.
(16-Oct-2015, 15:29)bentrider Wrote:

There would also be competition from the Devialet Expert line.

I looked at the link provided and the quote is definitely from Paul. He also included Meridian in his trashing.

He is trashing everything that make the component business moot, which is the case of any self amplified monitor, whether it is Meridian or Devialet or any other.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I think the fact that many phantom owners are ditching there high end systems (including myself) is worry for all manufacturers of separates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just been ditching stuff myself. Not high end, but good quality and costly enough. My Spendor S5e are now reduced to TV sound duty only; my son took away my second amplifier and speaker system yesterday; my Rega DAC sits forlornly unemployed. And I have drawers full of speaker wire and interconnects. When I can stream internet music and access the ALAC music on my NAS directly to my Dialog my Sonos system will be effectively redundant.

Fortunately for the manufacturers of separates the HiFi community is extremely conservative and will continue to buy big (see how good my sound is) passive speakers, amplifiers, CD players, disc spinners, accessories and lots of expensive wires.
(17-Oct-2015, 17:00)davidadamson Wrote: I think the fact that many phantom owners are ditching there high end systems (including myself) is worry for all manufacturers of separates.

What high end system did you ditch for the phantoms?
Goldmund amp, lots of cables!, Quad electrostatic speakers, Naim unitiserve

Also let me say I loved my previous setup and purchased the Phantoms on a whim.
They made my high-end redundant with a much cleaner setup, no expensive speaker, rca, digital cables.

(17-Oct-2015, 22:31)davidadamson Wrote: They made my high-end redundant with a much cleaner setup, no expensive speaker, rca, digital cables.
Just curious... Do you think Phantom's mids and highs are in the same league as the Quad ones?... Don't you find them harsh in comparison?... Phantoms haven't convinced me on that level yet... still wondering if it's a problem with the recordings or with Phantom's mids and tweeters, but I will continue my investigation tomorrow... Wink