Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Phantom alternative
(23-Oct-2018, 17:39)intouch1 Wrote: i beg to differ…..from an audiophile point of view, the ls50 is ahead of the phantom in sheer sound quality (of my silvers at least) and i also have a pair of kii 3 which is another level altogether….but at a different price of entry point…..but happy for you to feel otherwise….

Would love to hear more about your Kii threes - have you posted here about them?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Oct-2018, 04:59)invictus005 Wrote: While the LS50s are nice speakers, comparing them to the Phantom Golds is like comparing a pre WWII crop duster to a Saturn V rocket.

Hmmmmm - having just compared them I think you are delusional...

Once I get the LS50 off the table they are on and onto some stands, I think it will be more like Saturn IV vs Saturn V
You can put Phantoms on stands as well. The 5” woofers in the KEFs are mid-fi. And built in amps are Chinese throwaways. Phantoms have the most advanced, best built, best sounding amplifiers and DACs in the world. And the drivers are state of the art. Phantom Golds are absolutely fantastic speakers, especially if set up properly. They can compete with anything in the $20K range. I use a pair with a state of the art SME turntable and listening to them is a trip. LS50s are toys for budget systems. No delusions here.
Kii Threes are better speakers than the LS50s, but they too can’t hold a candle to Phantoms. Those Seas tweeters are $40 low-fi components.
(24-Oct-2018, 00:21)invictus005 Wrote: You can put Phantoms on stands as well. The 5” woofers in the KEFs are mid-fi. And built in amps are Chinese throwaways. Phantoms have the most advanced, best built, best sounding amplifiers and DACs in the world. And the drivers are state of the art. Phantom Golds are absolutely fantastic speakers, especially if set up properly. They can compete with anything in the $20K range. I use a pair with a state of the art SME turntable and listening to them is a trip. LS50s are toys for budget systems. No delusions here.

Hey, just a quick question: which phonostage do you use?
(24-Oct-2018, 00:21)invictus005 Wrote: You can put Phantoms on stands as well. The 5” woofers in the KEFs are mid-fi. And built in amps are Chinese throwaways. Phantoms have the most advanced, best built, best sounding amplifiers and DACs in the world. And the drivers are state of the art. Phantom Golds are absolutely fantastic speakers, especially if set up properly. They can compete with anything in the $20K range. I use a pair with a state of the art SME turntable and listening to them is a trip. LS50s are toys for budget systems. No delusions here.

Yes I I know - I meant I am not comparing apples with apples as I had the Phantoms on ceiling mounts, but the LS50 are on a wobbly desk at the moment 

Saying the LS50 use cheap throw away components is just as ridiculous as comparing them to a WWII crop duster Smile

Anyway - we can beg to differ 

To the post asking about phono stages - I used an M2 Tech Joplin mk II with my Phantoms. Ridculously good! Smile
(24-Oct-2018, 00:24)invictus005 Wrote: Kii Threes are better speakers than the LS50s, but they too can’t hold a candle to Phantoms. Those Seas tweeters are $40 low-fi components.

So a product is only as good as the sum cost of the components? What’s the trade cost of the tweeter in the phantom?

Dont think ive heard any criticism of the kii three anywhere. My main criticism is the wired volume control and design.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Oct-2018, 07:15)Malmbak Wrote:

Hey, just a quick question: which phonostage do you use?

I alternate between a Parasound Halo JC3+ and Micromega MyGroov. Two of my favorite phono preamplifiers. Ortofon 2M Black -> SME Model 10A -> Micromega MyGroov -> Mytek Stereo96 ADC -> Devialet Phantom Golds (on Tree stands) via AudioQuest Toslink (direct to one of the Phantoms and not to Dialog for best sound).
(24-Oct-2018, 08:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 00:24)invictus005 Wrote: Kii Threes are better speakers than the LS50s, but they too can’t hold a candle to Phantoms. Those Seas tweeters are $40 low-fi components.

So a product is only as good as the sum cost of the components? What’s the trade cost of the tweeter in the phantom?

Dont think ive heard any criticism of the kii three anywhere. My main criticism is the wired volume control and design.

The technology inside of the Phantom is leaps and bounds ahead of what Kii uses. For one, ADH is significantly superior to Hypex. Phantom drivers are proprietary with exceptional build quality. Motors are very complex for low distortion, with many machined parts, etc. Special voicecoils that can handle the power requirements. Have you ever held them in your hands? Not even Scan-Speak can build something so sophisticated. Without doubt, Phantom Gold is the most advanced audio component ever made. 
(24-Oct-2018, 08:53)invictus005 Wrote: ... Not even Scan-Speak can build something so sophisticated. Without doubt, Phantom Gold is the most advanced audio component ever made. 

Are you in Devialet's marketing department? The hyperbole seems somewhat familiar.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK