Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom and Ableton Live/Logic Pro
I also use LOGIC Pro and Ableton Live on my iMac.

I have a DIGITAL converter plug that converts my iMac Headphone output so it connects to the Optical IN of the Phantom.
From Ableton or Logic there is a lag if I use Bluetooth or Wifi.  So I was hoping the Optical IN would help.  This works but the OUTPUT level is low and there is no way to increase the sound output from Ableton via Optical.

Has anyone else tried this?
Doesn’t the iMac have an optical out built into the headphone socket? Many macs do, and so if you have it it doesn’t need a converter just a 3.5mm toslink cable plugged in.

(Just had a quick look for you, seems they removed the toslink after around 2015. Shame, guess it was a rarely used feature, but still useful).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Jun-2018, 22:05)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Doesn’t the iMac have an optical out built into the headphone socket? Many macs do, and so if you have it it doesn’t need a converter just a 3.5mm toslink cable plugged in.

(Just had a quick look for you, seems they removed the toslink after around 2015. Shame, guess it was a rarely used feature, but still useful).

OK - I eventually realised that the volume for OPTICAL is controlled by the SPARK OSX app.

Re: the Digital output on the Mac - it does require the little known adapter.  Have been using them since 2012.  The MacBook unfortunately does not have DIGITAL out even with the adapter.  Haven't tried it on the MB Touch Bar either
I dont have phantom but I’m sure I read somewhere that theres a low-latency mode Devialet can enable? Phantom users can probably advise.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I think the low-latency mode is actually a special firmware that must be installed by Devialet, presumably at order time and depends on whether you are an installer or not..
I inquired about this - and the 'Dante dongle' - in mail to Devialet in January this year. I have heard nothing from them...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
If you are playing live via Ableton - you do notice the lag over Bluetooth.

I guess the only way around it is to use the optical out.

So the Ethernet connection is purely to control via Spark?
You will still notice the lag, regardless of source method.
(02-Jul-2018, 13:54)booshtukka Wrote: You will still notice the lag, regardless of source method.

chose direct input and there will be no lag.
(03-Jul-2018, 10:03)da2001 Wrote:
(02-Jul-2018, 13:54)booshtukka Wrote: You will still notice the lag, regardless of source method.

chose direct input and there will be no lag.

There's a lag in of about 150 ms you'll never get rid of, regardless of input, due to sound processing and synchronization of the speakers.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Yup. Unless you get the mythical low-latency firmware.