Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom and Ableton Live/Logic Pro
@alandbush: no apology needed - glad you got it working!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(20-Jul-2018, 08:01)ragwo Wrote:
(20-Jul-2018, 07:10)thumb5 Wrote: @ragwo - I'm not sure what to say!  Maybe you have to utter the magic words "Direct Optical" (not necessarily in that order) to make it click?

Big Grin
I've asked support if they could check again and linked to this thread. Hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

I've received a reply from Devialet support and the one I'm in contact with, not Mei, do not recommend the procedure because it's still in development, it's not official, it can harm the speakers and it's not reversible. Devialet will take no responsibility if the speakers are damaged. I strongly believe Devialet (support) should have a powwow and decide what's what. Really mixed feedback.
@alandbush
Could you please confirm that you're able to connect to the speakers in Spark after a reset? Did Devialet support state any precautions about the procedure? Do you have to use an optical splitter to get stereo or does the Phantoms/Dialog still sync/distribute the stereo signal?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Good to see their improved internal communication’s coming together....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(20-Jul-2018, 22:21)ragwo Wrote:
(20-Jul-2018, 08:01)ragwo Wrote:
(20-Jul-2018, 07:10)thumb5 Wrote: @ragwo - I'm not sure what to say!  Maybe you have to utter the magic words "Direct Optical" (not necessarily in that order) to make it click?

Big Grin
I've asked support if they could check again and linked to this thread. Hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

I've received a reply from Devialet support and the one I'm in contact with, not Mei, do not recommend the procedure because it's still in development, it's not official, it can harm the speakers and it's not reversible. Devialet will take no responsibility if the speakers are damaged. I strongly believe Devialet (support) should have a powwow and decide what's what. Really mixed feedback.
@alandbush
Could you please confirm that you're able to connect to the speakers in Spark after a reset? Did Devialet support state any precautions about the procedure? Do you have to use an optical splitter to get stereo or does the Phantoms/Dialog still sync/distribute the stereo signal?

@ragwo
It is disappointing, if not concerning, that there is this apparent lack of consistent advice.  However, it may simply be a translation or interpretation issue.
The reason I say that is I understand that there is a ‘low latency’ firmware available which is a once only update, i.e. once ‘flashed’ there is no way back to ‘normal’ operation.  At least, that was how I interpreted a conversation with a dealer who was planning a cinema room using said ‘flashed’ Phantoms.  However, I did not press them for more information and the room had not yet been completed when I last enquired in June.
This certainly sounds like the under development, not official and non reversible procedure explained to you.

The Direct Optical mode, however, appears to be reversible (I have switched between ‘normal’ and Direct Optical mode twice now with no obvious side effects).  This mode is described in an official PDF document titled ‘How to activate Phantom Special Modes’ which is normally available to Devialet partners.  It was requested that I not attach it here.  Other modes are for Store Demo and Motion Design.  That suggests, to me, that it is tried and trusted as opposed to in development and not official.  I hope that allays your fears.
Also, I have performed a quick REW Measurement sweep of a Phantom in both modes and they are very similar with no apparent clicks, pops or bangs switching between modes.

I have five Phantoms in a cinema/lounge room and have found it best to attach optical cables to each and assign each to their own Spark ‘room’.  The stereo signals are duplicated/split to each pair which are then setup to use either the left or right signal.  This allows control of volume, via Spark, and delay, via preprocessor, to each speaker.
Choosing Direct Optical mode enforces the same setup but without Spark and the Dialog being required, i.e. each speaker is independent and receives the audio signal through optical only. Delay and volume are controlled by a preprocessor.  I suppose it’s akin to an active speaker system with digital input.

I have screenshots of the Devialet Phantom Remote app, as it progresses through the setup procedure, which I will endeavour to attach sometime this weekend.

I hope I’ve provided enough detail for DC members to make an informed choice.
@alandbush
Thank you very much for the thorough explanation! Looking forward to trying the direct mode, just have to get hold of an iDevice.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage