Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom and Intel NUC
Is it possible to use an Intel NUC with my phantoms? I am planning to install Roon rock on a NUC but I am not if it’s possible to use with my phantom. My set up is 2 phantoms and a dialog.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
If the NUC has Toslink optical out that Rock can use (or a USB to Toslink converter) you should be good to go. Otherwise Airplay (If your Phantoms support it, max 16/48 AFAIK) or wait for RAAT. Many use a Raspberry Pi and a HiFiBerry Digi + PRO for this, however. With Ropieee you'd have network RAAT streaming and Toslink to Phantoms.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(30-Aug-2019, 05:21)019764 Wrote: Is it possible to use an Intel NUC with my phantoms? I am planning to install Roon rock on a NUC but I am not if it’s possible to use with my phantom. My set up is 2 phantoms and a dialog.

I have an Intel NUC running MinimServer on SnakeOil OS (very lightweight Linux) feeding my Phantom Golds and Dialog with UPnP enabled. I wrote this Wiki Page.  

Trialled Roon but found that Airplay and feeding the Phantoms via optical (seperate box) not as good as UPnP.  The sound quality, in particular the sound stage, was the best with UPnP.  

Also, during Roon Trial, tested Convolution room correction.  Roon required double the CPU resources compared with UPnP running the same convolution filters.

Am delighted with the UPnP setup and the sound quality, doubt I will ever take up Roon even if RAAT becomes available.
Sounds interesting. Is the minimserver necessary or can you use the Roon bridge or server instead?

(30-Aug-2019, 20:37)019764 Wrote: Sounds interesting. Is the minimserver necessary or can you use the Roon bridge or server instead?
Roon does not support UPnP. The only way for Roon to feed the Phantoms is using Airplay or via optical.  Both methods do not sound was good as UPnP.

You can use UPnP servers other than Minimserver. Minimserver proved easy to setup and use. Room correction using convolution filtering further improved the sound stage and resolution of the instruments.