Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom and Jeep
Wanted to share this with everyone.  Yesterday, I was asked to see if I could bring one my phantoms to an outdoor event.  My jeep has a 110v outlet so I thought why not?  When I plugged it into the outlet in the Jeep, the phantom wouldn't power up fully... Next I tried a power inverter that plugs into a "cigerette" outlet.  When I plugged the phantom into that, the inverter started smoking and I immediately unplugged the phantom.  I brought it inside my house and plugged it in and discovered that it didn't work! :-(  It would power up but right after the normal woofer excursion it would then rapidly move the woofers and stop.  I did a 3 button reset to no avail...  then I left it plugged in and it went through a cycle of normal woofer excursion and rapid woofer movement for 5 mins, when all of a sudden I heard the new phantom sound!  I paired up my phone via BT and it worked!  No sound aberrations. :-)  

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this behavior?  I did a quick search and didn't find anything.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Definitely too much power draw for a direct connection. You’d likely need a good inverter for that kind of setup and you’d need an AC to DC conversion.

Very interesting though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
I like to think that the DC / AC converter rises in smoke! If the Phantom 5 Ampere need, then those on the 12V side about 46 Ampere (without the converter losses). Since the car battery is not long ago. The bad thing about it is, that such DC / AC converter on the AC side does not generate a sine or a special rectangle or sawtooth. With lamps or tools, that does not matter! High quality electronic, will not thank you! Angel
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(02-Jul-2018, 14:13)njaiswal Wrote: It would power up but right after the normal woofer excursion it would then rapidly move the woofers and stop.  I did a 3 button reset to no avail...  then I left it plugged in and it went through a cycle of normal woofer excursion and rapid woofer movement for 5 mins, when all of a sudden I heard the new phantom sound!  I paired up my phone via BT and it worked!  No sound aberrations. :-)  

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this behavior?  I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I would hazard an educated guess that this repeated pattern of woofer movement indicates that a firmware update was performed.
Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the feedback.  So far so good with the speaker.  I'm going to looking tomorrow for a car audio place that can install a high powered inverter.  Will let you guys know if I do anything and if it works.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Large voltage drops can damage electronics so my advice would be don't do it and just upgrade the stereo in your Jeep. There's a reason your Phantom took a bit to get going again.

But, if you really have to, get a seperate battery installed and connect an inverter directly to it. Get an auto electrician to do this. They can advise on how to connect your battery and what the (dis) advantages are. Some setups draw current from just the auxiliary battery, some from both (not good for starting the car after the Phantom has just drained both batteries) There's no clear information on the current draw of the Phantom but you want to make sure the inverter is very powerful. Especially at start-up they will draw quite a bit of current.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hello, the most important thing is how the shape of the generated voltage looks! The affordable converters produce a square or sawtooth waveform, but no sine wave at 60Hz !! Converters that produce a clean sine wave and still deliver a high current (10A) cost already from 2000 € !!! if then adds a battery with 240Ah, it's already expensive !! With such an action, one of my friends sent an expensive Korg keyboard to the afterlife!
Sad
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
The woofer movement being slow and then fast indicates the Phantom performed a recovery on it’s firmware. It ranges from a restoration or just a clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Last update...  So I never was able to find a locally sourced power inverter strong enough to get the phantom working... :-(  My need for it in the Jeep is no longer needed.