Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom breaking in period?
I know conventional speakers with paper/rubber cones require a gentle breaking in period before driving them hard.

Do the Phantoms have a breaking in period before driving them at high volumes?
(19-May-2016, 11:29)dogbait Wrote: I know conventional speakers with paper/rubber cones require a gentle breaking in period before driving them hard.

Do the Phantoms have a breaking in period before driving them at high volumes?

Not in my opinion, however the sound have changed over time, but that is most likely due to FW up-dates ( see another thread)
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Once I read an interesting story about polarity and electrons moving freely through wires, conductors and all such electronics. Don't know where I read it, but it concluded that all these components take some time to settle in before polarity is at it's best.
So yes, I think all electronic devices need time to break in. Regardless whether it's classic tubes, moving magnets or interconnecting cables.
That being said, my Phantoms sounded great right out of the box Wink
Happy Phantom user since april 2015 (currently 2 Gold Phantom, Dialog, Branch/Tree) with Tidal hifi.
(20-May-2016, 14:55)michirishi Wrote: ...all these components take some time to settle in before polarity is at it's best.

I am genuinely mystified by that.  How could/would polarity change during this supposed settling-in period, and what constitutes "best" polarity?  I had always thought polarity was a binary-valued thing so the idea that it might change over time in some gradual way to approach a somehow better value makes no sense to me.  If you were talking about plugging in cables so that the connectors were swapped, then I could at least follow the argument, but unless I misunderstood that's not what you had in mind.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the replies, Devialet also confirmed - no break in period.