Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom no longer on Display
I was in the flagship Apple Store in Santa Monica, California yesterday. The Phantom and its associated products are no longer on display. These have been on display for almost 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and, you asked why..?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
The store employees do not generally know and don’t typically answer these types of marketing related questions. I would guess that the product did not sell well. And/or it competes to some degree with the HomePod. The reason why I say this is because, even though the price and quality of the items are quite different, the phantom disappeared once the HomePod came on display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(08-Jul-2018, 19:22)Bobbybina Wrote: I was in the flagship Apple Store in Santa Monica, California yesterday. The Phantom and its associated products are no longer on display. These have been on display for almost 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t have thought that Apple, with its commitment to low quality music is a natural fit with any Hifi brand.  Apple Music only offers lossy quality files (and has shown no inclination at all to offer anything better) and their phones etc are well behind others in terms of quality of music reproduction.
Perhaps Apple are waiting for Devialets new ‘lower quality’ model. Or they just didnt sell well. Or they just want a new display.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(09-Jul-2018, 08:17)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Perhaps Apple are waiting for Devialets new ‘lower quality’ model. Or they just didnt sell well. Or they just want a new display.

It’s HomePod now. And they still carry Phantoms in EU
(13-Jul-2018, 09:28)dmitrek Wrote:
(09-Jul-2018, 08:17)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Perhaps Apple are waiting for Devialets new ‘lower quality’ model. Or they just didnt sell well. Or they just want a new display.

I can't think of anything that would make you less excited about buying a Homepod than hearing and seeing a Phantom in person.
(18-Jul-2018, 00:30)Eggman Wrote:
(13-Jul-2018, 09:28)dmitrek Wrote:

I can't think of anything that would make you less excited about buying a Homepod than hearing and seeing a Phantom in person.

I can't imagine anything would make anyone seriously considering a HomePod more excited than seeing the price of a Phantom.

They're aimed at different markets. Those in the market for a HomePod will be put off by the price of a Phantom and those in the market for a Phantom will be put off by the sound of the HomePod. Whichever one a buyer opts for, they're likely to be satisfied that what they bought is meeting their needs.

There's an interesting review of the HomePod by Jim Austin now up on Stereophile's site: https://www.stereophile.com/content/appl...rt-speaker

Austin did a review of a stereo pair of Phantoms in Stereophile a few months back which you can do a search for and compare his comments.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia