Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom or Focus
Hi! It is about time for me to decide if I wanna keep the two Phantom Golds that I have on trial. I really  like them but I’m also interested in the Focus 20 XD from Dynaudio. They are basically the same price so is there someon who has heard them both? How do they compare? 

Kind regards
Mads
If you're a 'bass freak' the Phantoms will serve you better. The 20 XD is probably better overall, but it depends very much on your preferences. I have heard the 200 XD and Golds, but not at the same time so I'll stay away from too much comparison. I liked the 200 quite a lot, but lack of the deepest bass was noticeable. If your room is very large in the sense that you sit far from the speakers I'd say the Phantoms would be good.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(28-May-2018, 16:01)ogs Wrote: If you're a 'bass freak' the Phantoms will serve you better. The 20 XD is probably better overall, but it depends very much on your preferences. I have heard the 200 XD and Golds, but not at the same time so I'll stay away from too much comparison. I liked the 200 quite a lot, but lack of the deepest bass was noticeable. If your room is very large in the sense that you sit far from the speakers I'd say the Phantoms would be good.

Thank you. I'm leaning towards the Golds. But I'm a little bit worried that the Phantom sound will get old in a year or two. A clean or more neutral presentation might be better in the long run...
Properly setup, a pair of gold is as clean and neutral as you can get except spending 10 to 100s time the price.

My two cents,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(29-May-2018, 13:24)Jean-Marie Wrote: Properly setup, a pair of gold is as clean and neutral as you can get except spending 10 to 100s time the price.

My two cents,

Jean-Marie

I agree!
(28-May-2018, 15:38)Malmbak Wrote: Hi! It is about time for me to decide if I wanna keep the two Phantom Golds that I have on trial. I really  like them but I’m also interested in the Focus 20 XD from Dynaudio. They are basically the same price so is there someon who has heard them both? How do they compare? 

Kind regards
Mads

Why not send them back and try the Dynaudio then decide?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-May-2018, 17:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-May-2018, 15:38)Malmbak Wrote: Hi! It is about time for me to decide if I wanna keep the two Phantom Golds that I have on trial. I really  like them but I’m also interested in the Focus 20 XD from Dynaudio. They are basically the same price so is there someon who has heard them both? How do they compare? 

Kind regards
Mads

Why not send them back and try the Dynaudio then decide?

That's on the agenda. I haven't bought them direct from Devialet, but from a local retailer. He's a nice guy so I am simply trying to make his life as hassle free as possible:-) 

Another thing to consider is that Dynaudio are working on an integration of the Focus line and their new lifestyle speakers, the Music Line. Meaning that you will be able to control both from the same app. That means multiroom, and the Music Line speakers are both cheaper and battery powered, so you can take out on the patio. For me that versatility is important. And the Music Line sounds A LOT better than Sonos etc. 

I'm leaning toward the Golds, but am tempted by Focus.
Can the dealer loan you the others? That way he gets a sale either way.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Just to update: I kept the Golds. I auditioned the Focus 20 XD and while it is a very nice speaker, it does not have the same room filling sound as the Phantoms.

Now to find the best way to get Roon and MQA/TIDAL integrated.....
(02-Jun-2018, 17:56)Malmbak Wrote: Just to update: I kept the Golds. I auditioned the Focus 20 XD and while it is a very nice speaker, it does not have the same room filling sound as the Phantoms.

Now to find the best way to get Roon and MQA/TIDAL integrated.....

I’m honestly not surprised, looking at the respective specs’ they do not play in the same league. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France