Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom's woofer dance
Video 
Hi,

I really like the phantom "woofer dance", which is for me inherently part of the fascinating design of this thing.

Here is an example :
https://youtu.be/QonWzfnZk8I

Did you test some good tracks that make those things "dance" ?

Thanks,
Olivier.
Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack.... It will drive it nuts!
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
SBTRKT - Wonder Where We Land ft. Sampha is insane too
Can't wait until I get them and try the interstellar soundtrack through them. My current system feels like it lacks something but it could be the quality of the recording I don't know.
On behalf of the Devialet-store Netherlands, I can recommend a huge bass-track from Beyoncé , track Partition (from album 'Beyonce') regards, Michel

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Try Rudimental's "Spoons". (from the Album "Home") I can't be sure how the Phantom will react, but on my Blades this gives about the most extreme deep bass imaginable. Might be fun to try on the Phantoms? Might destroy them? Might destroy your listening room?
(05-Jun-2015, 16:34)Confused Wrote: Try Rudimental's "Spoons".  (from the Album "Home")  I can't be sure how the Phantom will react, but on my Blades this gives about the most extreme deep bass imaginable.  Might be fun to try on the Phantoms?  Might destroy them?  Might destroy your listening room?

How do the Phantoms compare with your Blades. Now that would be an interesting 'face off'. £4000 pair of Phantoms vs £20K Blades. What do you reckon? Tongue Tongue
Erykah Badu - Baduizm. The track 'Rimshot' should do it
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(05-Jun-2015, 20:59)stonedragon Wrote:
(05-Jun-2015, 16:34)Confused Wrote: Try Rudimental's "Spoons".  (from the Album "Home")  I can't be sure how the Phantom will react, but on my Blades this gives about the most extreme deep bass imaginable.  Might be fun to try on the Phantoms?  Might destroy them?  Might destroy your listening room?

How do the Phantoms compare with your Blades. Now that would be an interesting 'face off'. £4000 pair of Phantoms vs £20K Blades. What do you reckon? Tongue  Tongue

I have no idea how the Phantoms compare with the Blades!  I have only heard the Phantom at the Bristol show earlier this year, where a single Phantom was being played very quietly in a very noisy environment, so I haven't a clue how it sounds.  This will change soon though.  The Phantoms are now making their way to a number of UK dealers, including the highly recommended Oxford Audio Consultants.  (I wonder if they give massive discounts to people who plug them on line?) As well as owning a pair of Blades, I have also listened to them more times than I care to remember in OAC's demo room, so I know exactly what they sound likes there.  Very similar to mine at home as it happens, my room is a similar size, and almost identical width to OAC's demo room.  Anyway, once I have had a chance to listen to the Phantoms, I would be more than happy to post an honest opinion as to how they compare.  I think it will be fascinating.  Some points to consider.  It is not a 4k to 20k comparison, the delta must be far bigger as the Blades really need maybe 8K to 20K plus for amplification.  Secondly, I know of no other speaker that sounds quite like the Blades, obviously I like what they can do, otherwise I would have bough something else.  However, there are many design similarities between the Blades and the Phantom.  Consider that the Blades have opposing Bass drivers, the Phantom is curved (dinosaur egg) , the Blades are curved (parabolic style), but neither are boxes.  KEF make a big deal of the "single apparent source" design of the Blades, but the Phantom design achieves this as well.  So if I really like the Blades, then how will I find the Phantoms?  If the Phantoms do sound as good as my 40k Blades + D800, would I feel suicidal?  Not at all, I think I would order some, maybe when the surround sound functionality is sorted out.
(06-Jun-2015, 12:07)Confused Wrote:
(05-Jun-2015, 20:59)stonedragon Wrote:

How do the Phantoms compare with your Blades. Now that would be an interesting 'face off'. £4000 pair of Phantoms vs £20K Blades. What do you reckon? Tongue  Tongue

I have no idea how the Phantoms compare with the Blades!  I have only heard the Phantom at the Bristol show earlier this year, where a single Phantom was being played very quietly in a very noisy environment, so I haven't a clue how it sounds.  This will change soon though.  The Phantoms are now making their way to a number of UK dealers, including the highly recommended Oxford Audio Consultants.  (I wonder if they give massive discounts to people who plug them on line?) As well as owning a pair of Blades, I have also listened to them more times than I care to remember in OAC's demo room, so I know exactly what they sound likes there.  Very similar to mine at home as it happens, my room is a similar size, and almost identical width to OAC's demo room.  Anyway, once I have had a chance to listen to the Phantoms, I would be more than happy to post an honest opinion as to how they compare.  I think it will be fascinating.  Some points to consider.  It is not a 4k to 20k comparison, the delta must be far bigger as the Blades really need maybe 8K to 20K plus for amplification.  Secondly, I know of no other speaker that sounds quite like the Blades, obviously I like what they can do, otherwise I would have bough something else.  However, there are many design similarities between the Blades and the Phantom.  Consider that the Blades have opposing Bass drivers, the Phantom is curved (dinosaur egg) , the Blades are curved (parabolic style), but neither are boxes.  KEF make a big deal of the "single apparent source" design of the Blades, but the Phantom design achieves this as well.  So if I really like the Blades, then how will I find the Phantoms?  If the Phantoms do sound as good as my 40k Blades + D800, would I feel suicidal?  Not at all, I think I would order some, maybe when the surround sound functionality is sorted out.

It will be very interesting to see your comparison as you outlined it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE