Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom soundstage - true stereo?
Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Can 2 Phantoms be set up as a true stereo system so with assignment of left and right channels, a true stereo hi fi soundstage is created as in normal stereo systems?
[/color]
Quote:When I asked phantom support I got the answer below.
Quote:Phantom gives the effect of stereo. The sound pushes out so well you would be amazed. Truly Omnidirectional.
When setting up Spark with Dialog, you can chose the left and right channel. Usually the default would be solo mode.
You can set up 6 speakers or more. The Dialog is more like a bridge for it collects and pushes info over the wifi Network to each dedicated speaker.
It would be good to confirm if 2 phantoms configured for 2 channel sound really gives a true stereo soundstage, or if it is an "effect", actually the same omnidirectional sound  from a left and right source.
I'm sure there are a few people on here who can confirm that a true L&R stereo configuration is possible.

It is true left and right stereo if you use two phantoms and a dialog and configure the dialogue with a left phantom and a right phantom.
I have several test CDs with tracks that test for left and right channels.  They only play one channel at at time. Use a test CD with channel identification to verify true stereo if you have doubts.  If you play the left channel test, there should be zero coming out of the right speaker.

I do not have Phantoms so I cannot test and report.
Yes its true stereo thats why you choose mono or stereo , omnidirectionalspeakers is just that they are more wide in how they spread the soundstage
It's definitely true stereo.

And it's very detailed stereo too. Much better detail than in most systems I have heard over the years.
(18-Sep-2015, 06:10)michirishi Wrote: It's definitely true stereo.

And it's very detailed stereo too. Much better detail than in most systems I have heard over the years.

Agreed. I have two silvers and dialogue set up left and right. True stereo.
(18-Sep-2015, 00:13)johancarlsbo Wrote: Yes its true stereo thats why you choose mono or stereo , omnidirectionalspeakers is just that they are more wide in how they spread the soundstage

Thanks everyone for confirming that 2 phantoms (with dialog) can be set up for true stereo?.  Given that the speakers are more omnidirectional then conventional systems, It's noted that the resulting soundstage is wider, so the presentation of the sound is different.

I have three questions related to this.

1.  Does the Omnidirectional character of the phantoms require that the position of the speakers be further away from the corners of a room, to avoid bouncing the sound around too much?

2.  Using the example of a recording of an orchestra and standing there listening to the playback noting where each instrument is located on the soundstage in the room, with the very omnidirectional Phantom speakers, what effect does this have on the the geographic location of the instruments across the soundstage?  Simply's spread the locations out wider?  Is the Omnidirectional stereo effect - a wider than true soundstage- have any negative effects or is it a good thing?

3.  Do the two points above combined so that in a small room a conventional more forward firing speaker set would be better than an omnidirectional speaker set?

Thank you Smile
Go and have a listen, I think you are over thinking this one, just a touch.
Or try some for 45 days !!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers