Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantom white vs silver + general impressions
Hi guys, apologies... a few questions coming...

I'm thinking about going for a Phantom as a second system, to use in a room of 4.5m x 4m, which can open out to the garden, so I could swing it round and play it to the outside when we're in the deckchairs :-)

Just wondering whether to go for the standard edition or silver? Do they sound the same, except the silver can go excessively loud? I'm thinking summer BBQs would be good, with a bit of volume when a few people are over. 

I'm only planning on using one Phantom, would this give a good sound? I used to own a Devialet 120 with Harbeth P3ESR and M30.1, how would it compare to such a system? 

Any general Phantom impressions would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks in advance.
That would also interest me . However, I need th e Phantom only for a smaller space.
I remember a member forum I think Clive said the silver sounded better but don't think he elaborated in it too much. I remember when the d110 and d170 came out many people said they couldn't hear the difference but now it seems more can.
The D110 and D170 (or 120/200 now) are effectively identical except for power output so any speaker capable of being driven sufficiently by the 120 should sound the same as with the 200. The differences can creep in with speakers closer to the threshold of power for the 120.
As for ordinary Phantom vs Silver - no idea!
You might as well go big for the extra dosh. Do it..silver/s..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Thanks guys, next question is mono or stereo, but I guess start with one and see how you go.....
(05-Jul-2015, 23:30)Novak Wrote: Thanks guys, next question is mono or stereo, but I guess start with one and see how you go.....

I have a mono white one. Heard the dual silvers last week. Reducing to eating white bread for the next few months to save up for stereo silvers.

It's night and day.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(06-Jul-2015, 03:26)trashken Wrote:
(05-Jul-2015, 23:30)Novak Wrote: Thanks guys, next question is mono or stereo, but I guess start with one and see how you go.....

I have a mono white one. Heard the dual silvers last week. Reducing to eating white bread for the next few months to save up for stereo silvers.

It's night and day.

You're funny. I tried listening to a stereo pair at a local Devialet shop, but the sales assistant sucks in his explanation for the poor sounding due to room's height and space, and yet give a bullshit explanation about Phantom's positioning versus Expert line hence won't demo in a smaller listening room.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(06-Jul-2015, 04:49)hk6230 Wrote:
(06-Jul-2015, 03:26)trashken Wrote:

It's night and day.

You're funny. I tried listening to a stereo pair at a local Devialet shop, but the sales assistant sucks in his explanation for the poor sounding due to room's height and space, and yet give a bullshit explanation about Phantom's positioning versus Expert line hence won't demo in a smaller listening room.

Which local shop is that? When I auditioned the pair, it doesn't really need precise positioning but noticed a drop off in LFE if you stand behind them.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
This is Shanghai, China. Because the ceiling is very high, there is simply too much echo in the room.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier