Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom with guitar preamp
Hello I'm very new here and a guitar player more than an audiophile (my apologies).
I discovered the Phantom a couple of weeks ago after the CES and it gives me the impression that it would be a wonderful system to replace amplified monitors plugged behind a guitar preamp. I currently use a FRACTAL AUDIO Axe FX and two Atomic cabinets that weight 60 pounds each.
I'm scratching my head about connectivity. The music audio world still relies on 6,35 jack connectors and good old XLRs. It looks like there is a digital input on the Phantom (TOSLink) but this refers to a physical format, not the sampling rate. My preamp has a numeric output which is 48K sampling : would the Phantom accept it ? It's not clear in their white paper and the support people dont know much (I already asked). If I go the wifi analogic route, I would need a device that turns my audio out into wifi : does this kind of device exists ?
Is the Dialog mandatory to ensure connectivity ? It's not clear either if it's a pre-requisite or not.
Sorry for the basic questions. I saw an avatar with a guitar bridge on the forum, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Thanks for your help
Best musical regards,
Philippe
(11-Feb-2015, 16:39)Phil_delanghe Wrote: Hello I'm very new here and a guitar player more than an audiophile (my apologies).
I discovered the Phantom a couple of weeks ago after the CES and it gives me the impression that it would be a wonderful system to replace amplified monitors plugged behind a guitar preamp. I currently use a FRACTAL AUDIO Axe FX and two Atomic cabinets that weight 60 pounds each.
I'm scratching my head about connectivity. The music audio world still relies on 6,35 jack connectors and good old XLRs. It looks like there is a digital input on the Phantom (TOSLink) but this refers to a physical format, not the sampling rate. My preamp has a numeric output which is 48K sampling : would the Phantom accept it ? It's not clear in their white paper and the support people dont know much (I already asked). If I go the wifi analogic route, I would need a device that turns my audio out into wifi : does this kind of device exists ?
Is the Dialog mandatory to ensure connectivity ? It's not clear either if it's a pre-requisite or not.
Sorry for the basic questions. I saw an avatar with a guitar bridge on the forum, so  I thought I'd give it a shot.
Thanks for your help
Best musical regards,
Philippe

I think the Toslink would support 44 - 96 possibly 192
There is also the ASL Stratos preamp which is among many thing will convert an analog stream to digital output via Toslink.