Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not?
My 108dB "Phantom I" use 20-25 watts without making a sound unless I put them in standby, which is also pretty impractical when they're high on the wall and you need a ladder to do it.
Davialet is a very good example that customers with a lot of money don't give a damn about electricity consumption, no matter what the consequences for the rest of society.
(21-May-2023, 06:18)NichtCheck Wrote: My 108dB "Phantom I" use 20-25 watts without making a sound unless I put them in standby, which is also pretty impractical when they're high on the wall and you need a ladder to do it.
Davialet is a very good example that customers with a lot of money don't give a damn about electricity consumption, no matter what the consequences for the rest of society.
You can put the speakers in standby in the app, but you'll need the ladder or a broom stick to turn the speakers on again. Really impractical. If you live on the North Pole(ish) as I do, the standby consumption is OK as I need to heat the house 11.5 of 12 months a year anyway.

I haven't seen any sleep mode power consumption figures from Devialet, so I believe that Devialet has the major blame in this issue. You're not the first person reacting, this has been a discussion for years. My old Phantom Silvers had a sleep mode temperature of about 40°C. That's really, really bad. They had the ADH-1 internals, the Phantom I has the ADH-3 I believe, and the power consumption is considerably lower, but 20-25 watts in sleep mode is still way too much.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I used a simple power meter to measure the power used by my silvers and whites. They are quite power-hungry even when not playing, and since I have older models, they seem to use more or less the same amount of power whether I play or not. The most power-hungry silvers came to about 70-80 W each, or 100 - 115 kWh/month for a pair, the other pair was less hungry, as were the whites.

I have installed Nexa power plugs to turn them on/off at the touch of a remote button, without touching the phantoms. This has worked fine for 5-6 months now. I live in an apartment, and my electric usage has been very gone down quite a bit (I have central heating, so netting power use for heat is not a thing for me).
I had outlets switched by an app to switch mine on when I was going to use them but as many things app/electronic, the app was discontinued so they don’t work any more, so I just use the socket switch. I did it to save electricity.
Mine are from the first batch so about 8 years old.
They are hardware incompatible with the v2 software but work fine anyway with V1
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

my 3 different revisions have different power consumption profiles, older runs hotter = more power consumption at idle. I kept a pair of ~2015 Silver Phantoms (older hotter) on 7x24 other than the occasional re-configuration, trip away etc for the better part of 8 years with no problems. One was replaced with a 2017 unit but only due to firmware upgrade issue. its better than 2015. (i've not compared the 2017 silver and 2019 gold with each other but the 2017 model runs much cooler than the 2015 like the 2019) the past year put the older pair of silvers on a remote switch to turn them on and off, along with the network gear and some other stuff that servs that room. it all together runs pretty hot just sitting around and really not used as much so decided to switch them off when not needed. for no specific or particular reason other than i had this remote switch thing to try out. in theory leaving them off would extend the life, but then , also if you don't leave your house probably not likely to get hit by a bus. I use the dialog and arch on a different circuit all over the network(wired) the dialog burns coal like mad 7x24 - i still like the optical on the dialog so it gets more use in practice vs the arch which is better than the dialog in every way other than it does not have optical.... 2019 golds mostly get left on 7x24, let it do its power management thing. more current revision use less (at idle). to me the most important question / aspect is what is your use case? if they might need to be used many times a day who knows when leave them on... unless you really like to start every listening encounter playing a fiddle session. meaning you like making sure you power everything up in just the right way. or do it so much you can just fix that one thing that needs and extra kick.. if you rarely use them or use them "off grid" (or a boat, or a van, or cave) then you might consider how much its worth to keep them on when not filling your ears. FWIW. happy listening! scott-
I always turn my phantom silver classics off when not in use. I use smart sockets connected to Apple Homekit. When I turn on my TV (also connected to HomeKit) it automatically turns on my smart sockets and I have to wait maybe 20 seconds for sound. When I want to play music I just ask Siri to turn one my Phantoms (I named the smart socket Phantoms). Works great for over a few years now.
Hi. I always keep my Phantoms II on.
I did an experiment - for an entire month I powered them down after listening, and listened to them every evening - like usual.
The power consumption in stand by is so low that I didn't even notice on my monthly consumption reading.
But I did noticed something ... I have as source the tv - and the fiber optics is going to the left Phantom (so 3.5 mm Jack (Left) on the app).
If after listening I leave it like that - the next morning the speakers are hotter than you'd expect from a stand by device - it's like I've listened to them all night at low volume.
But if, after listening I switch from the app to the right jack (so I switch to an input without signal) - the next day the speakers are barely warm, as one would expect from a stand by device.
(13-Aug-2023, 09:11)marius23mvp Wrote: Hi. I always keep my Phantoms II on.
I did an experiment - for an entire month I powered them down after listening, and listened to them every evening - like usual.
The power consumption in stand by is so low that I didn't even notice on my monthly consumption reading.
But I did noticed something ... I have as source the tv - and the fiber optics is going to the left Phantom (so 3.5 mm Jack (Left) on the app).
If after listening I leave it like that - the next morning the speakers are hotter than you'd expect from a stand by device - it's like I've listened to them all night at low volume.
But if, after listening I switch from the app to the right jack (so I switch to an input without signal) - the next day the speakers are barely warm, as one would expect from a stand by device.

May be you should turn off the autoswitch optical/analogic in the parameters of your left phantom.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Autoswitch is off for both speakers
I power down my Matte Black Phantom 1 by using the Devialet app. 

Not sure if this was common knowledge, but thought I should share my experience. What I found interesting is once I open my Devialet app from my iPhone, all I do is gently pat twice on top of the speaker (not too fast) and it would wake up and automatically connects to the Devialet app. And to confirm when its connected, a startup chime would play first to confirm connection. 

To my understanding, I thought that was only offered to the Phantom II (Reactor) but not the Phantom 1. My case may not be applicable for the older Phantom Premiers.
Studio: Devialet Matte Black Phantom 1, AudioQuest Forest Optical TOSlink Cables
Living: Wilson Audio MAXX Speakers Series 3
Family: Bowers & Wilkins XT8, XT4, XT2, XTC, PV1, McIntosh MX123 AVR
Bedroom: Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo, Wedge Silver, PV1D
Dining: Naim Mu-So 2nd Gen, Qb V2   
Powder Room: Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Wireless (Silver)