Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms and Roon
Any suggestion of hardware to use Roon with my phantoms?
Roon Nucleus, NUC or somerhing else?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
(23-Dec-2019, 18:47)Nordic Wrote: Any suggestion of hardware to use Roon with my phantoms?

Hi @Nordic

Both are good options, to which I would add a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter, similar to a Nucleus (audio-optimised single-purpose hardware/software) but a bit cheaper.  It depends on your priorities (sound quality/convenience/value).  I have been running a sonicTransporter for several years and am very happy.

You are no doubt aware that you can't currently stream hi res material from Roon to Phantoms, something that Devialet will hopefully address sometime next year.  However std res works fine over Airplay, and hi res works fine using other streamers such as Audirvana.
I have a Raspberry Pi running RoonBridge with a Hifiberry Digi+ board running toslink to my Phantoms.    

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(23-Dec-2019, 18:47)Nordic Wrote: Any suggestion of hardware to use Roon with my phantoms?

Bluesound Node 2i is ideally integrated with ROON (RAAT, Tidal, MQA) and works perfectly (TOS-Link) with your Phantom(s)
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
I’m using the same setup as Trashken: hifiberry digi+ raspberry pi is the endpoint. With DOS2 I’ve been able to leverage the toslink input on my Dialog again (it was sporadic on DOS1) which means I can have the endpoint in another room, keeping the set up at the phantom simple (they are just plugged into power: no other cables) Roon core is a NUC running ROCK in another room.

I have the Phantoms set up in Roon both using RAAT with that endpoint, and as an Airplay device for when I want to be able to control the volume directly in the Roon app. In order for the RAAT hifiberry set up to be bit-perfect, you need to set the volume to fixed, and adjust the volume from the Devialet app. The Airplay set up is simpler for the family.
(28-Dec-2019, 16:50)vaguedetails Wrote: I’m using the same setup as Trashken: hifiberry digi+ raspberry pi is the endpoint. With DOS2 I’ve been able to leverage the toslink input on my Dialog again (it was sporadic on DOS1) which means I can have the endpoint in another room, keeping the set up at the phantom simple (they are just plugged into power: no other cables) Roon core is a NUC running ROCK in another room.

I have the Phantoms set up in Roon both using RAAT with that endpoint, and as an Airplay device for when I want to be able to control the volume directly in the Roon app. In order for the RAAT hifiberry set up to be bit-perfect, you need to set the volume to fixed, and adjust the volume from the Devialet app. The Airplay set up is simpler for the family.
Hi vaguedetails, would you share your setup (RAAT) for reference? I can only connect my Phantom Gold with AirPlay Sad. Thanks 

(28-Jan-2020, 06:35)Nevermindband Wrote:
(28-Dec-2019, 16:50)vaguedetails Wrote: I’m using the same setup as Trashken: hifiberry digi+ raspberry pi is the endpoint. With DOS2 I’ve been able to leverage the toslink input on my Dialog again (it was sporadic on DOS1) which means I can have the endpoint in another room, keeping the set up at the phantom simple (they are just plugged into power: no other cables) Roon core is a NUC running ROCK in another room.

Hi vaguedetails, would you share your setup (RAAT) for reference? I can only connect my Phantom Gold with AirPlay Sad. Thanks 

I’m not sure I can expand more than I have already. I have a Raspberry Pi, with a Hifiberry Digi+ “hat” connected to it. This adds an Optical out to the Pi, which I then have hooked up to one of the phantom in a stereo set up. That Pi is running the Ropieee software https://ropieee.org which allows the Pi to be recognized in Roon as a RAAT endpoint. In Roon, the Pi is enabled as one of my Audio endpoints: the only shortcoming of this is that the volume is set to Fixed, and volume can only be adjusted via the Devialet App or if you have one, the Devialet volume control accessory. 

With this running, I can send hi res to my Phantom in Roon without issue.

Have a Qnap with SSD for my Roon server, music on the same Qnap with RAID5 setup on the HDD’s.
There's a Roon Extension enabling volume control via Roon. The extension uses the UPnP protocol to change the Phantom volume. Works like a charm with DOS1, there are reports of trouble with DOS2.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/almost-...om-w-knob/

You can also use the Squeezebox to UPnP bridge. It supports 24/192. Some has been lucky getting it working. I can only stream for a couple of minutes before the music stops.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/using-r...p-project/
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(30-Jan-2020, 09:58)ragwo Wrote: There's a Roon Extension enabling volume control via Roon. The extension uses the UPnP protocol to change the Phantom volume. Works like a charm with DOS1, there are reports of trouble with DOS2.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/almost-...om-w-knob/

You can also use the Squeezebox to UPnP bridge. It supports 24/192. Some has been lucky getting it working. I can only stream for a couple of minutes before the music stops.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/using-r...p-project/
Exactly the same here. The squeezebox upnp bridge is very unstable and also rather slow (not very responsive) when it works.
The RPi Digi+ with RAAT protocol and the Roonbridge/Devialet-Phantom-volume Control Extension works great as long as you do not merge/Unmenge Rooms in the Spark app. All this on DOS1. I will only change to DOS2 when RAAT is implemented and multi-room is reliably working. I had enough fun as beta tester of the Phantoms in 2015 ff. Now Spark and even more importantly Roon with a RAAT endpoint connected to one of the Phantoms optical Inputs are stable. Also Qobuz is still working in Spark despite the communication of Qobuz to stop the Spark support. In Roon Qobuz also works well.