Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms better left on, or powered down ?
Newbie here, greetings to all.
Fresh owner of a pair of Reactors 600.
My setup is : TV - Reactors via optical.
Somehow I was under the impresion that when the source goes off (the TV in my case) the Phantoms will also enter standby after a while.
I've read here somewhere that they DO enter in a standby kind of thing after a while, but what kind of standby is that beats me. All I can say for sure is that they keep the heat sinks warm all the time, even in the morning, after many hours of no signal from the source.

Ok, I know about the buttons on the back (hardest pressing buttons I've ever pressed) but for me is not an ellegant solution, and I refuse to adopt it.
What the hell is that ... I turn off the TV by a single gentle press, and after that I have to go to the back of each reactor and press those damn buttons for 2 or more seconds. I don't like it.
So I've purchased an on/off plug, to be able to power off/on both reactors at the same time, with an efortless press of a single button.

Keeping in mind that there is an operating system in each one, so they have to boot every time I power them on ... I really don't know what will be worse (on the long term) for the Phantoms ... to keep powering them down, or to leave them allways on ?

So my question to you is - how do you keep yours ?
Thanks
Always on.
Switched off at the mains plug (UK sockets are normally switched) except when using them.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Always on !!
As reflected by the answers, there are some who leave things always on (sounds better because there is a warm up time with electronics) and people like me who switch off because electronics deteriorate over time, especially when it is hot. If I am having a very serious listening session, I will run things for a few hours before that. Others want to do the right thing by reducing their power consumption.

In other words, there is no ONE right answer. You have to decide what works for you...
It's a shame that Devialet don't take their part in power wastage (and thus carbon emissions) more seriously. I'm sure someone investigated how much power they use when not playing on this thread, but they could easily have a better form of standby.
I leave mine on all the time and there’s absolutely no heat coming off it whatsoever. Mine isn’t connected to anything though as it’s used as a Bluetooth speaker or through wifi to my NAS drive.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(07-Aug-2021, 08:54)marius23mvp Wrote: All I can say for sure is that they keep the heat sinks warm all the time, even in the morning, after many hours of no signal from the source.

Firstly - thanks to all who took the time and answered.
I wanted to clarify one thing - when I said that the heat sinks are warm all the time I ment that they are not at room temperature.
So to clarify, they are a little bit warm ... not warm like when I listen to them.