Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms - mids
I'm waiting for the local Devialet showroom to renovate to cater for this stereo pair demo.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(28-May-2015, 10:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(28-May-2015, 10:44)superstock Wrote: The Phantoms are definitely not what I would call "boom boxes" with an accent of bass reproduction to impress

The trouble is that this is how Devialet were demonstrating them in Munich, as loud as possible with shock and awe bass.

I would have liked to have heard them in a more tranquil setting, playing perhaps classical music. Perhaps they might have impressed me more in this context.

Guillaume

I think they are trying to impress the mass market to get their investment back, and the one thing even somebody not interested in hifi will notice is how much more bass the Phantom gives than other small speakers.
I think the fact that a lot of hifi users like the Phantoms for their accurate full bandwidth sound is a bonus for them rather than their target.

I listen almost exclusively to classical music and I could live very contentedly with just the Phantoms if I had to (I don't...), though that would probably mean selling my records and turntable too.

PS I was in Oxford yesterday and popped into Oxford Audio Consultants. They will be getting Phantoms in, possibly next month??? So demos available then!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks for that will have to nip over and annoy Jon then Big Grin
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(28-May-2015, 12:13)f1eng Wrote:
(28-May-2015, 10:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(28-May-2015, 10:44)superstock Wrote: The Phantoms are definitely not what I would call "boom boxes" with an accent of bass reproduction to impress

The trouble is that this is how Devialet were demonstrating them in Munich, as loud as possible with shock and awe bass.

I would have liked to have heard them in a more tranquil setting, playing perhaps classical music. Perhaps they might have impressed me more in this context.

Guillaume

I think they are trying to impress the mass market to get their investment back, and the one thing even somebody not interested in hifi will notice is how much more bass the Phantom gives than other small speakers.
I think the fact that a lot of hifi users like the Phantoms for their accurate full bandwidth sound is a bonus for them rather than their target.

I listen almost exclusively to classical music and I could live very contentedly with just the Phantoms if I had to (I don't...), though that would probably mean selling my records and turntable too.

PS I was in Oxford yesterday and popped into Oxford Audio Consultants. They will be getting Phantoms in, possibly next month??? So demos available then!
As the Phantoms do have good bass, the marketeers within Devialet or external agency have jumped on that one quality because it does impress the majority. I've never heard people say "come and listen to the midrange of my speakers" Smile

Whenever friends have listened to my electrostatics of imposing proportions, I've wanted to demonstrate their qualities of good midrange performance and transparent delivery which they do so well. Most listeners (including some enthusiasts) just want to see either how loud they go, or how good the bass is which isn't their strong point and is probably quite a disappointment to the casual listener.
Phantoms sounds differently from Atohm, at least because of "omnidirectional bass". It's easier to place Phantoms in any given environment, since it doesn't require any cables except for the power. I am replacing my system with a preamp, two mono amplifiers and a huge loudspeakers with Phantoms.
Mid range is outstanding to my ears - on par with my Meridian DSP6000 which were pretty special

Vocals jump out at me and drums smash me in the face with their clarity and attack! (Recording dependant of course)

The only time I would say they are slightly bettered on some recordings is on the treble - where my Mordaunt Short Performance 6LE driven by £3k of class A mono blocks were a bit smoother and warmer on the top end. But I guess that's a simple question of class A vs class D (even if Devialet' special recipe class D - I imagine it won't do the smoothness of a class A valve amp?)

No single system is ever the best at everything right? But for me - against my previous set ups - they are equally good or better in all but some minor areas

So when you throw the box count, size, looks, wifi functionality, and lack of anything to tinker with into the mix - it's still a no brainer and I don't see my self ever looking back Smile