Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms smell when warm
I recently noticed my Phantoms II 98 dB (5-6 months old) starting to smell after longer periods of use.

Just tonight I watched „The Martian“ on a moderate 50-60% volume for 2 hours and then listened to some music from Tidal through my fire TV stick (fire TV stick->HDMI->TV->Toslink->Phantoms).
When I got up to check the temperature of the rear heatsink, I noticed an odd smell. The smell seems to come from the gap between the woofers and the housing and it smells like metal or plastic.

Is this normal or should I be worried?
I’m guessing it can’t be too abnormal since both Phantoms smell the same and feel equally warm.
Surely they should even be able to handle 100% volume for hours.

Upon a quick research I read that this can come from woofer’s coils but can also be burnt glue. The secondary doesn’t sound nice  Sad

If anyone knows the reason or experienced the same, I’d be happy to hear!
2x Phantom II 98db
Suggest you contact Devialet Support to ask for a warranty replacement.
(23-Aug-2022, 21:53)Jann Wrote: I recently noticed my Phantoms II 98 dB (5-6 months old) starting to smell after longer periods of use.

Just tonight I watched „The Martian“ on a moderate 50-60% volume for 2 hours and then listened to some music from Tidal through my fire TV stick (fire TV stick->HDMI->TV->Toslink->Phantoms).
When I got up to check the temperature of the rear heatsink, I noticed an odd smell. The smell seems to come from the gap between the woofers and the housing and it smells like metal or plastic.

Is this normal or should I be worried?
I’m guessing it can’t be too abnormal since both Phantoms smell the same and feel equally warm.
Surely they should even be able to handle 100% volume for hours.

Upon a quick research I read that this can come from woofer’s coils but can also be burnt glue. The secondary doesn’t sound nice  Sad

If anyone knows the reason or experienced the same, I’d be happy to hear!

I am an owner of 3 Phantom I's (3 different batches and as well. One from 2018, 2020 and 2021. 103,108,108 matte respectively) so I have a different experience, but all has the same problem when they are hot so the smell problem is (most probably) normal.
I will have to smell mine now. Never noticed it before!