Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms turning yellow
hi guys, 

Just wondered if anyone has owned phantoms Long enough for the plastic to start turning yellowish. I'm asking because my speakers gets quite abit of sunlight shining on them every morning. Hence, I'm worried it may speed up the yellowing process. I have owned a pair of MBL speakers spray painted white which became slightly yellow after 3 years. And now after 8 years, it's almost as close to beige. 

Therefore, I'm a little worried for my phantoms and wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent them from turning yellow. 

Thanks guys
Have a look around on this site. There's been a thread about this very issue before.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Devialet Phantoms turn yellow by design - why else would they ship them with that ugly ass yellow cable if not to have them eventually match! Big Grin
(05-Oct-2016, 05:43)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Have a look around on this site. There's been a thread about this very issue before.

Cheers,

Pim
Thanks ! Found the thread. 

(06-Oct-2016, 00:27)dogbait Wrote: Devialet Phantoms turn yellow by design - why else would they ship them with that ugly ass yellow cable if not to have them eventually match!  Big Grin
Good one!  Big Grin  The phantom golds come with white cables. So my speakers better stay white.  Undecided
Does the sunlight go through some glass before hitting the Phantom? You could put on some UV blocking film. If it ever turns yellow, there is always Retr0bright.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(07-Oct-2016, 04:32)trashken Wrote: Does the sunlight go through some glass before hitting the Phantom? You could put on some UV blocking film. If it ever turns yellow, there is always Retr0bright.

Nothing to do with the sun. Mine have been tucked away well out of any direct sunlight for over a year and still yellowing in places. Mostly near the top of bass and midrange drive units. More likely to be internal, maybe some particular adhesive or material used in manufacture affected by constant warmth inside and bleeding out through gaps as a vapour.

Anyone know of what can safely remove the discolouration without affecting the plastic? I've no idea what Retr0bright is.
The discolouration can easily be removed with a microfiber cloth and some ordinary window cleaning spray. That is what Devialet recommended when I asked them. The discolouration is not internal, it's just normal air pollution/fine dust according to Devialet.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(07-Oct-2016, 11:47)ragwo Wrote: The discolouration is not internal, it's just normal air pollution/fine dust according to Devialet.

Aah, the worldwide yellow dust problem. Strange, lots of white objects in my house, only the Pantoms suffer this discolouration - so more likely something to do with the Phantoms.

Thanks, I will try the window cleaner.
I Think they should make a yellow version to match the mains.cable.
Problem solved.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Was great to find this thread - was having the same issue (yellowing and a small crack) but all the manager at the store wanted to do was upsell me to the gold.

I reached out to support this morning so hopefully they will resolve.