Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 or D-Premier..?
Question 
Hi All,

I've done a search for this in the forum but found no results, so have joined up so that I can ask!

I'm in the market for Devialet amp; currently driving my B&W 805S speakers (and subwoofer) from a Lavardin IT; and I'm trying to decide between an ex demo D200 and a used D-Premier -- they are approaching the same price these days at around €5,000. 

What are the general thoughts on which would be the better option? Obviously the big thing is giving up SAM with the D-Premier but from what I can gather online the D-Premier is a good step up in every other regard?

(Just to add that I couldn't afford to upgrade the D-Premier to D250, just too much money for me I'm afraid).

Thanks for any advice, hugely appreciated!

Plainview.
What features does the D200 have that the D-Premier doesn't? Can you be happy without them?
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I woud go for the model that offers you the connnections you need now or in the future.
USB, ethernet > 200
HDMI > D-Premier
for the rest they are almost identical when it comes to connections.
I woud never swap my D200 for a D-Premier. D-Premier looks really cool though if it has the right color.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
D200 is tonally and technically much better than Premier
Hi Plainview, and Welcome!

I have no relevant experience to draw upon, however that does not need to keep me from offering an opinion!

I would suggest you go for the D200. It is a current model, and 'more current', possibly, in terms of its design and hardware. It is possible that future updates from Devialet will work only with the 120 - 800 models, and not the D Premier; this is pure speculation but in general, software updates eventually leave older hardware behind.

Adding another 200 to make a D400 is not something that would seem to be a future possibility, but, if your opinion of the Devialet changes or if you need to sell in the future I would expect the D200 to be a more marketable model down the road. USB and ethernet would be prudent to have, I suspect. I think D Prem. owners have considered those connection options worthwhile. And although Devialet is still upgrading D Premiers, they may not do so forever. If they stop that upgrade option, that would reduce the future value of the Premier.

I doubt there is an audible difference based on power or any substantive difference in their ability to drive a difficult speaker load, and I couldn't comment on the tonal differences based on the hardware development from the early Premier to the 120 - 800 expert series.

But let us know which way you go, then come back and jump in on other threads.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Many thanks for the fast and helpful responses.
I think the connections are really key and would likely find USB and Ethernet more useful for my setup than HDMI.
Again, thanks for the help.

Plainview.
FWIW, I thought the upgrade from d-Premier to D250 was a pretty noticeable one, even without SAM, presenting a less fatiguing sound. But, of course, these things are highly subjective and system dependent. I'd guess that d-Premier prices will keep falling, since the upgrade just doesn't make sense now that D200 prices have fallen somewhat.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
I was faced with the same quandry.. to UG my D prem is $5000, an extra D prem to make a 500 system is the same.
Considering my speakers aren't sammed and sam wont possibly benefit them , and the usb interface is irelevant to me.. I chose not to uG
I have a pal that had 2 D prems running giya G1 speakers (same as mine) and he UGed both to an 800 system,... he recons it wasnt worth the $10 000.
As to firmware..I seem to have everything that later firmware provides other than SAM stuff...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I have carefully compared the D-Premier and D 200. The same CD, vinyl and internet radio - clearly audible speech is better for me to D-Premier.
D 200 also had my speakers in SAM was still better D-Premier.
D-Premier, I bought a month ago and uprade the latest software without any problems.
You tried to play SACD via HDMI? I do - cool thing.
So for me the clear choice D-Premier!

Translator = google :-)