Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase problems?
Hello to all. I have not posted on this site for a few years but have certainly maintained an interest in the various discussions. I have actually only just upgraded my D400 to D440 pro and am very pleased with what I feel is an improvement to some important aspects of sound quality. Since many Devialet owners will have upgraded some time ago and will have already formed their own opinions about this, I won't go on!

However I have a problem with my D440 set up which I could do with some help resolving. Sometimes when I switch the amp on from standby or off, the sound seems to be strongly biased to the right hand speaker (powered by the companion amp). There is a loss of volume from the left hand speaker and the imaging is very poor. It sounds out of phase but how could this happen? The effect is temporarily cured by switching off again and restarting.

If anyone has had a similar experience it would be great to hear about a permanent fix!
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
I don't have a dual amp setup, I've got a 140 Pro and often on startup I think the balance is shifted to the left and that the right speaker is slightly "missing in action". Things balance out after 3 or 4 tracks. I've always thought it was a warm up issue and I have no suggestions on a fix.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have a 1000 pro and never have this issue. I would try a very basic configuration first to make sure it is not some configurator issue. Otherwise open a ticket with Devialet support.
Another thing you can try is to swap master and companion. That could help if it is an issue of a single amp.
I recommend new config for both units and factory reset. Have had the issue as well 3 years ago.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I would recommend

1. A Factory Reset

2. Use config to setup your Master and download the file. Make sure your speakers here are LEFT Spk.

3. Use the same config and setup another Master [ with speaker now for the other ch, RIGHT Spk ] and download the file.

4. Careful: Make sure you load L Spk ch to Left Master & similarly for the R Spk.

Reason for doing this is that the online config has bugs and doesn't exactly replicate the Companion as the Master, hence phasing, imaging etc are affected.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Many thanks for the suggestions. I have done a factory reset (which seems to have resolved the problem so far) and will complete a new config this evening. I will be very relieved if this works and I can avoid shipping the amps back to Deviate!
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
The factory reset worked for a day but then the problem returned. A new config was tried twice but again after a short time the problem returned. The problem is inconvenient rather than disastrous because I can (for now) correct the issue by switching the D440 off and then on again. I am going to try two new SD cards on the basis that I may have a faulty card which is causing the rather random fault. The D440 does sound superb and the upgrade has definitely lifted the SQ of my system significantly. I'm therefore not getting too worked up about all this! It would just be nice to resolve.
Have you tried to swap the amps ? Try to use the companion as master and check if the problem reoccurs.
No I’m sorry I have not tried this. It was one of your original suggestions so I will try it out. You are right, the problem could be associated with the master amplifier.
It could also be the companion, but maybe it helps to find out if it is a hardware issue. You have 5 years guarantee on the upgraded amps, if you can find out which one has the issue you can send it back for repair and you can still listen with a single unit. You should at least open a ticket with Devialet support.
You can also try to use both amps in stereo mode to see if that works without issues.
Btw. I remember that I also have an issue like that very rarely. Then it seems I listen with only a single channel, in all cases the master. Then I simply switch through my 2 sources and the issue is solved. Maybe this also works for you.