Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase problems?
Many thanks to all the advice from members. I did try out the various very logical suggestions but unfortunately could not correct the problem permanently, so I ended up sending the Master amplifier back to Deviate. Customer services had asked me to go through a series of tests to determine if a fault lay in one or both amplifiers. The amplifier was returned to me after around three weeks and I was advised that a partially broken class D board had been repaired. However when I set up the system again, the same problem was clearly still there!

While I was thinking what to do next and with Christmas in full swing, I kept using the D440 and was still able to correct the problem by switching on and off a few times. I must say that when it is correctly set up, the D440 sounds superb. Strangely over the past week the problem has become less apparent. Some mornings I have switched on and the amp works perfectly straight away. This morning I only had to switch on and off once. This is progress I suppose.

I am inclined to persist with this for a few more weeks and see if the problem completely goes.

Communication with customer services has been very good and the collection and return of the amplifier was straightforward.
There is a user here in the forum able to Analyse, edit and create cfg files. I think this would be very helpful as I guess this is not hardware based but rather a software / configurator topic.
Since you have a Dual-Mono, I would strongly recommend that you setup each monoblock ... i.e. left channel amp as Master-Left and right channel amp as Master-Right. The configurator otherwise is known to mess things up. I've been following this concept for the last few years (as helped very kindly by fellow members) and it's rock solid without any issues. If you look back on this thread, you'll notice that I earlier advised the Master Left + Master Right setup.
Have fun with your 440-Pro.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Just out of curiosity: what is different in the configurator when configuring Master & Slave vs master L and Master R ?
Can you put here screenshots of the main screen of the configurator and the settings of the speakers from each amplifier? In addition, put the two configuration files that you use.
(28-May-2023, 22:32)Harry. Wrote: Hello to all. I have not posted on this site for a few years but have certainly maintained an interest in the various discussions. I have actually only just upgraded my D400 to D440 pro and am very pleased with what I feel is an improvement to some important aspects of sound quality. Since many Devialet owners will have upgraded some time ago and will have already formed their own opinions about this, I won't go on!

However I have a problem with my D440 set up which I could do with some help resolving. Sometimes when I switch the amp on from standby or off, the sound seems to be strongly biased to the right hand speaker (powered by the companion amp). There is a loss of volume from the left hand speaker and the imaging is very poor. It sounds out of phase but how could this happen? The effect is temporarily cured by switching off again and restarting.

If anyone has had a similar experience it would be great to hear about a permanent fix!

Wow! Just got my upgraded D440 back from France last week and had exactly the same problem. Right hand speaker was 30% louder after messing around I realized that I had the speaker wires crossed. I corrected it and problem went away immediately.