Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Stage After Firmware 8.0 Upgrade
Have installed the Firmware 8.0 upgrade successfully, however something's changed in the phono stage. Using precisely the same settings on the phono stage as the previous firmware the gain has shifted enormously. Before 8.0 playing a record at -10 db was almost 95 db peak. After 8.0 I'm not getting decent gain until -2.5 db. I had thought that Le Configurateur was not recognizing my selection of a MC cartridge and was instead using the MM gain stage erroneously. But that appears to not be the case. Any advice is appreciated.
Devialet 400, Wilson Sophia 2, VPI Super Scoutmaster with SDS and 3D tonearm, Lyra Kleos, Audience AU24SE Low Z tonearm cable, Kubala Sosna Emotion Speaker Cables, Audience AU24 Power Cables, Audioquest Wild (Custom) S/PDIF to AES/EBU, CEC TL3N CD Transport.
I haven't tried yet, but the publicity about the new phono stage mentions continual optimisation.
Maybe the start ADC gain setting is low to be well away from ever clipping and it will slowly adjust as you play records to optimise the ADC settings whilst avoiding input clipping.
Certainly, with the old firmware, setting my input voltage to the cartridge makers specified 5cm/sec output voltage resulted on ADC input clipping on some heavily modulated LPs.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(16-May-2015, 12:43)f1eng Wrote: I haven't tried yet, but the publicity about the new phono stage mentions continual optimisation.
Maybe the start ADC gain setting is low to be well away from ever clipping and it will slowly adjust as you play records to optimise the ADC settings whilst avoiding input clipping.
Certainly, with the old firmware, setting my input voltage to the cartridge makers specified 5cm/sec output voltage resulted on ADC input clipping on some heavily modulated LPs.

I dont think there is anything self adjusting, my Clearaudio MC pickup is set to 420uV wich is what Clearaudio stated in it`s whitepapper. But I can go down to 250uV in the meny while palying a record without clipping so there is a bit of testing there to be done to get the right output and not to much noise.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Could have use settings from Audio note IOI. and kiseki purpleheart and other caridge in that spektre ,
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Does any of you experience a pretty audible humbling Bass sound since upgrade ?

This mainly is on my right loudspeaker and seems also has been present in 7.1.1 although much more silent there and hence not disturbing (only did recognize now when reverting back and comparing)

The Sound is not linked to subsonic setting and or phono pluged into Devialet or not
Just switching Input to phono is causing this result

With any Other Input Setting than phono the Sound does not occur and all is silent without signal
(24-May-2015, 17:11)hahe Wrote: Does any of you experience a pretty audible humbling Bass sound since upgrade ?

This mainly is on my right loudspeaker and seems also has been present in 7.1.1 although much more silent there and hence not disturbing (only did recognize now when reverting back and comparing)

The Sound is not linked to subsonic setting and or phono pluged into Devialet or not
Just switching Input to phono is causing this result

With any Other Input Setting than phono the Sound does not occur and all is silent without signal

problem resolved - was a grounding issue due to a loose cable - will start testing v8 phono now and share findings
I've done some extensive testing with my analog setup and prefer the sound when using my Rega Aria MC/MM phono stage as opposed to the built-in phono stage in my Devialet 200.

Via RAM, I've tried different settings for my Rega Apheta 2 MC cart but still prefer the sound via the Rega Aria phono.

As for the rest of my setup, I like Firmware 8.0.0 and I've had no issues at all!
While the phono stage sounds great, I do get quite a lot of hiss on it - it's set as per the configurator for my Dynavector XX2MkII - I don't notice it other than "between tracks" but it is definitely there.....anyone else have this?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
I did so got a pair of step up transformers and that sorts out the hiss and the sound quality.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Thanks - very interesting. So how did you configure the phono stage with the step-ups in place? Did you customise the gain/loading parameters? Which SUT did you use?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland