Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono signal clipping
Thanks, Marco - got it !
On my Devialet 200 w/600uV MC setting, the meters rarely go over -40dB when playing a typical record. With cartridge lifted, the meter shows -100dB with a little flicker.
-40dB seems low, but as mentioned the cartridge setting is determined by analyzing the recording output to avoid clipping.
Regards, Jens
(26-Jan-2016, 19:09)Jens Wrote:
(26-Jan-2016, 18:16)ciptip Wrote: Hello there,
Help needed!
I have a strange clipping problem on my 120 and I suppose is due to the phono config; it's strange cause pulled out the phono cables and it was still clipping (those about 10 clipping that you can loudly hear on the speakers each 5 seconds). I configured the phono input for a Rega Apheta at 500mvolt, mc, high; there are not so many config options as in the bigger 200 or 250s. As far as I understood it is suggested that I should put a bigger value than the one stated by Rega.

Hi,
Can you try to explain a little better what it is you experience? 
You say that you pull out the phono cable (I assume you mean out of the Devialet, leaving the inputs on the Devialet-end empty?) and you then hear a constant sound (please describe: white noise or hum or ..?) or is it a 'blip' every 5 seconds?
If it is a blip it could be due to having wifi on the Devialet enabled, it's described in the manual. If you pulled out the cable on the turntable end, leaving open-ended cables in the Devialet input, it could be the cable picking up noise or the cable might be defective. Did you connect the separate ground wire correctly from the turntable to the Devialet?

Thanks Jens,
It seems to be the wifi, I disabled it and raised the input to 600. I pulled out the phono cable from the amplifier to see if its just having some kind of unknown conflict (to me). It's a rega rp10, anyway, regas don't have a separate ground wire, it's built in the phono cables. So I think it was a blip, from your description, each five seconds there were a set of approx. 10 blips coming out of the ls.
(26-Jan-2016, 19:41)Jens Wrote: Thanks, Marco - got it !
On my Devialet 200 w/600uV MC setting, the meters rarely go over -40dB when playing a typical record. With cartridge lifted, the meter shows -100dB with a little flicker.
-40dB seems low, but as mentioned the cartridge setting is determined by analyzing the recording output to avoid clipping.
Regards, Jens

Thanks Jens,

this is more or less in line with what I see with my cartridge. I haven't had time to try to do some needle drop to check the levels but what I noticed is that if I stick to my cartridge suggested mV I have no clipping, but as soon i start moving away from the suggested settings the led start going red more and more often.
I just need to push to a higher listening volume. 

thanks

M