Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planar Magnetic headphones question
Not sure where to place this post so chose here.

Thinking about some new headphones and The Oppos and HiFi Man new phones getting some rave reviews.

What exactly are Planar Magnetic headphones. Do they have a much different sound to normal headphones.?

Headphones such a hard thing to demo as limited stocks in the retail outlets up here
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Steve

A bit of a journey but I suggest visit HiFi Lounge near Bedford. They have just about every available headphone in the UK in a dedicated demo room - 18 brands including Oppo and Hifi Man. I'd say planar magnetic are closer to electrostatic headphones than dynamic headphones are - so if you like delicacy over power then you might like them.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(26-Mar-2015, 23:01)IanG-UK Wrote: Steve

A bit of a journey but I suggest visit HiFi Lounge near Bedford. They have just about every available headphone in the UK in a dedicated demo room - 18 brands including Oppo and Hifi Man. I'd say planar magnetic are closer to electrostatic headphones than dynamic headphones are - so if you like delicacy over power then you might like them.

Yes thats like a 600 round mile trip Ian Smile

I have looked at their site and it looks impressive and would love to spend a few hours in there but a bit too far for me I am afriad,
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England