Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help - My devialet D-premier sounds crap
Hi all,

So I bought a pre-loved Devialet D-premier blind without auditioning. And when I play it , it is not sounding upto its lofty reviews. There is some distortion and even my chord 2 qute dac has better clarity than the devialet. One of my friends who also uses a devialet, told me that the devialet is very sensitive to power cords, and also needs an isolation transformer to sound at it's best. Iam really lost now. 

Did I buy a rotten apple, or is it worth throwing more money at isolation transformers and power cables to get it sounding right. Thanks in advance for your time.
The answer could be so many things based purely on this brief description. TBH the only way to truly know if there’s something ‘wrong’ would be to find another d-prem owner and take it to their place and see if yours sounded the same.

I personally wouldn’t start with cables or conditioners/transformers

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Cables/cord not the problem
I think a lot depend on what system you had previously. The Devialet is very transparent in my opinion and it does take a little while to get used to.
I remember when I auditioned my 200 at home for 2 weeks. Initially I was not blown away and I was in two minds. It was only when I put my old amp back in did I realise the difference . Maybe you need to give your ears time to adjust?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
What inputs (sources) have you tried it with? Is the distortion and lack of clarity present for all inputs, at all volume levels? If so I'm afraid it may be faulty. Sounds unlikely to me that it will be fixed by cables or mains power tweaks.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I´m with Hifi_swlon, you need to compare it with another one in the same environment.
It´s strange that lack of SQ, even when you're not used to that particular sound.
There´s something wrong in the chain, not the Dev... i guess.
Check the firmware version, and also try without the SD card in it so you are using the default config.

It could just be broken!

What speakers are you using, and how loud are you listening?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
If you're hearing distortion (and not just a potentially different tonal balance than you're used to), then there's something wrong. There should be nothing that sounds like distortion coming from it. What source & inputs are you using?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Is it possible on D-prem to use analog inputs configured as phono?
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(05-Jul-2018, 18:16)maxijazz Wrote: Is it possible on D-prem to use analog inputs configured as phono?
I would expect the massive tonal change to be very obvious from that, but line in being driven into clipping from the wrong config would do it.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution