Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please, share your Phantom stereo setup (including source)
Very nice signal chain!
The Mutec would probably do an even better job if connected after the DDRC, but then you'd have to change the SMS-200 too as I guess you can not use the USB port on the DDRC as a digital audio input. Optical direct to one of the Phantoms or via Dialog?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(30-Dec-2017, 19:55)ogs Wrote: Very nice signal chain!
The Mutec would probably do an even better job if connected after the DDRC, but then you'd have to change the SMS-200 too as I guess you can not use the USB port on the DDRC as a digital audio input. Optical direct to one of the Phantoms or via Dialog?

Unfortunately not possible. Cause there is no USB-Input on the DDRC. It´s connected to one of the Phanstoms. Dialog has a bug at the moment (Devialet knows) which lets it accept only 96khz. But i´m not sure if i would detect a difference anyway. The chain is night and day compared to Spark only. Even without the DDRC.

I while ago a was unsure if the Phantoms are the way to go. So i´ve listened to much more expensive solutions (new B&W 803 for example). Bass seemed to be a bit more natural (different) But overall i was happy with the Phantoms after some room treatment and better placement of the speakers. In my rooms the Phantoms seem to depend very much on a good position (distance)
My experience (with Whites over a weekend, before I got the Mutec) is that Phantoms are just as sensitive to room interaction as any other high end speaker. I got very good results with room correction and Phantoms in my room. I remember having reservations about some midrange colouration, but I believe this has been fixed in Golds. Hopefully also in the new Elevate which is probably the one I'll buy. The Phantoms are real technical master pieces. Pity Dialog is not quite up to the task of dealing with Phantom excellence.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Fortunately Dialogue is a small piece - both in size and cost - of the puzzle, and therefore an easily upgraded/replaced/improved part. I have the Elevates on trial at the moment. Wishing I could EQ them easily (see my thread on EQ for dummies), and therefore wondering if the Golds would better address my concerns (as the bigger better part of the puzzle long term)... I’m only 15 days into my 45 days trial. Nothing says I can’t do two 45 day trials at the same time? Who knows? Perhaps I’ll keep both in an immersive 4 channel and/or cinema setup down the road...
Yes, Dialog is small and cheap, but Devialet actually promised that Dialog would handle multi channel streaming to Phantoms. Now it barely handles stereo hi-rez. I'd prefer to send sound directly to Phantoms, bypassing Dialog completely. This is very difficult today. The new Dante dongle may change this, but we still do not know if Devialet will sell it to us (as opposed to installers) and we do not know which resolutions it will support. As a Roon user I can hope that a future development will enable direct streaming to Phantoms over ethernet. We'll see.
If you can have both Gold and Elevate home at the same time you'd be in a position to properly compare them. I'll be looking forward to that!
Devialetless!
My choices when listening to music...

(31-Dec-2017, 11:03)Mhuusko Wrote: My choices when listening to music...

Very impressive gear, indeed.

Is it that what you want to hear?
(31-Dec-2017, 02:21)snbeall Wrote: Does anyone else think that Apple should be buying Devialet? At least for the Phantom technology? I have no idea what they were thinking with Beats - other than name recognition and an idiot following. They are making a move into portable Bluetooth speakers with their impending release. But Phantom would allow a true portable iSpeaker as well as a scalable pathway, Apple style, into multichannel home cinema, multi room, etc. Certainly Apple could help them fund/figure out their problems...and perhaps spin off the rest of the line in a high end feeder subsidiary...

Better not. Beware from another gated community.

What? The Krell/Wilsons or the Phantoms?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(01-Jan-2018, 03:36)Axel Wrote:

What? The Krell/Wilsons or the Phantoms?

Many times the Phantoms are delivering the music...streaming from Qobuz is so convenient...
When having an active listening session I normally powerup my Benchmark/Krell/Wilson setup