Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resetting sound to 35
So I have 3 reactor 900's.  I have 2 paired up connected to a receiver and I have the other one connected to another receiver.  I did this for my wife since she abhors using apps for anything.  Every night after work I have to reset the input to optical and the volume back to 100.  Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

TIA
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Same for me I don't know how to change it
Living Room: Devialet Dione
(07-Jun-2019, 16:58)RMK Wrote: Same for me I don't know how to change it
I may end up relegating the Reactor's to adhoc use and just replace them with phantom classic's running in optical direct mode...  It really amazes me that they still can't get this stuff right...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Given how loud those speakers can get, it's actually a security feature to have them reset the volume to a reasonable default. Your use case is not what the reactors were designed for. If you used the Bluetooth / Spotify Connect / AirPlay inputs from a control device, you could switch back to whatever volume you want immediately from within whatever audio streaming app you chose.
We actually tested for this: people would be very (badly) surprised when resuming playback a day or two after a pretty loud listening session. These people would just have forgotten how loud they set the speakers and get blasted. They overwhelmingly preferred having to raise the volume to reach their expectation rather than having to rush in to lower the volume when it was too loud.
Moreover, I should add that setting the reactor to 100 and then using digital leveling for volume control amounts to reducing the sample resolution and ultimately reduce sound quality, just as for the "optical direct" mode on Phantom Premier.
(24-Jun-2019, 16:13)raph972 Wrote: Given how loud those speakers can get, it's actually a security feature to have them reset the volume to a reasonable default. Your use case is not what the reactors were designed for. If you used the Bluetooth / Spotify Connect / AirPlay inputs from a control device, you could switch back to whatever volume you want immediately from within whatever audio streaming app you chose.
We actually tested for this: people would be very (badly) surprised when resuming playback a day or two after a pretty loud listening session. These people would just have forgotten how loud they set the speakers and get blasted. They overwhelmingly preferred having to raise the volume to reach their expectation rather than having to rush in to lower the volume when it was too loud.
Moreover, I should add that setting the reactor to 100 and then using digital leveling for volume control amounts to reducing the sample resolution and ultimately reduce sound quality, just as for the "optical direct" mode on Phantom Premier.

Your point is fair.  I want to integrate the phantoms into an existing A/V use pattern that my family knows...  I think it would have been prudent to have a virtual switch that just turns them into an active speaker for large installations or integration with automation systems.  The situation at my house is so bad right now that my wife wants me to get rid of all the phantoms (premieres and reactors) because she's fed up with all of the fiddling I need to do to keep everything running.  I have a couple of cases open with Devialet to see if I can get my environment stabilized.  I love my phantoms... I just wish my family would love them as much as I do...

As to the loss of sound quality, I can't tell the difference between my premieres when they were managed by dialog vs optical direct mode.
(24-Jun-2019, 16:13)raph972 Wrote: Given how loud those speakers can get, it's actually a security feature to have them reset the volume to a reasonable default. Your use case is not what the reactors were designed for. If you used the Bluetooth / Spotify Connect / AirPlay inputs from a control device, you could switch back to whatever volume you want immediately from within whatever audio streaming app you chose.

I think you have good points but what I am hearing, and very much agree with, is an app is a stunningly bad interface for volume control.  So much so that the app pictures with the faux volume control knob says to me the marketing department agrees.

Why is reducing the sample resolution before the signal gets to the Reactor any different from reducing the sample resolution inside of the Reactor?

Does preserving sample resolution really matter when compared to the alternative of using a lossy streaming service as source?
I changed to using Airplay from an Apple TV4k as suggested by raph972 and it was much better. Using Airplay fixed the volume control and audio sync problems. If only my disk player and PS4 supported Airplay.
Devialet provided a set of instructions to me that allows the Reactor to be setup as a "regular" active speaker.  I'm still testing the configuration.  Will let you guys know how it goes.