Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cables recommendations (under 2k)
I'm asking for cable suggestions that will work with the 250 but targeted for 1000 when budget allows the purchase of a second unit.  Currently run Kimber 8TC 15ft lengths (due to placement of stereo stand - far left corner of 20ft length wise room).

I am not in a location that supports trying out different cables so I will be relying on your thoughts/suggestion to some extent.  Speakers are Harbeth 40.1's which are not that sensitive at 85db (which I believe will truly benefit from a pro1000 configurations - not that the d250 alone is any slouch).

I had tried the Siltech Silvers (borrowed from bro) and they destroyed my thoughts that what I have currently was acceptable, so the quest is on for a reasonably facsimile  to the Siltech's (which I would love to have but 4-6K precludes that from happening).

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(06-Jan-2019, 01:48)Jim_Anderson Wrote: I'm asking for cable suggestions that will work with the 250 but targeted for 1000 when budget allows the purchase of a second unit.  Currently run Kimber 8TC 15ft lengths (due to placement of stereo stand - far left corner of 20ft length wise room).

I am not in a location that supports trying out different cables so I will be relying on your thoughts/suggestion to some extent.  Speakers are Harbeth 40.1's which are not that sensitive at 85db (which I believe will truly benefit from a pro1000 configurations - not that the d250 alone is any slouch).

I had tried the Siltech Silvers (borrowed from bro) and they destroyed my thoughts that what I have currently was acceptable, so the quest is on for a reasonably facsimile  to the Siltech's (which I would love to have but 4-6K precludes that from happening).

Jim

Hi Jim

How would you describe the difference you found between your current cables and the Siltechs ?
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Jim,

Do you spend any time on the Audiogon forums? If so check out Agon member grannyring. He makes speaker cables from Dueland wire that gets tremendous reviews.he sells them under his brand “acoustic bbq”. I have seen no negative reviews of these speaker cables, and many say they compare or sound better than speaker cables costing many times more.

http://duelundaudio.com/

I bought a pair for my d200 and have been extremely satisfied. To be honest though, I have never owned cables in the price range you have listed, so I couldn’t compare how they measure up, but many audiogon members swear by them. If you did try them out and didn’t think they measured up, I’m sure you could resell them for what you bought them for so you would not have much to lose.
(06-Jan-2019, 09:59)Zappydev Wrote:
(06-Jan-2019, 01:48)Jim_Anderson Wrote: I'm asking for cable suggestions that will work with the 250 but targeted for 1000 when budget allows the purchase of a second unit.  Currently run Kimber 8TC 15ft lengths (due to placement of stereo stand - far left corner of 20ft length wise room).

Jim

Hi Jim

How would you describe the difference you found between your current cables and the Siltechs ?

I'm pretty bad at explaining audio differences and seem to fall into emotional response vs a proper technical analysis. This was not a blind test so please forgive me as both of us understood we were doing this challenge with pre-expectations (comparing a 200 dollar cable against a 5K cable). 

The trial of the Siltech's took place some time ago, so the following needs to be taken respective of the time lapse.  I can say with certainty, upon switching between the Siltech's and my cables both my brother and looked at each other and exclaimed how much difference there was. 

I think there were three of more songs that we repeatedly played changing cables at particular passages we both were familiar with. 

1) playing Shawn Phillips - Women - at the very beginning of the song, Shawn's voice came across with clarity I historically would have had to raise the volume to hear him clearly and the base drum (signifying the approaching storm) seemed to last considerably longer and was more distinct. 
2)  Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live album, Keith Don't Go.  We sensed/felt more was being delivered - to me this is an excellent song/album to test changes in your equipment as it has so much going on - from individual guitar strings plucks/hammer ons, slide work, light/heavy strumming (showing more or less  attack, longer or deeper tones, complex passages more clearly distinguishable).  
3) Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed/Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman - Father and Son/K.D. Lang - Hallelujah all just seemed to be delivered more effortlessly, more clarity, quiet passages darker and so on.  

By the time we had gotten this far the Siltech's remained on the system for the rest of the evening and we just enjoyed the Devialet delivering fine music with a number of also fine bottles of wine.  

I went into this effort being a wire is a wire is a wire and no 5K dollar cable is going to be that much different than what I had.  I've held that feeling for a long time and it was dismissed within a two hour span.  

Do I need to spend that much to get the same results - Damn I hope not, thus the query to you good folks whom possibly have had a similar experience.  I also realize this effort should be able to be repeated and in speaking with my brother I've talked him into bring his cables up with him on his next visit. Hopefully that won't be to long in the future.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use a 250 Pro with Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary, also with Quad ESL-63.

Personally, I would spend the money upgrading to M40.2 or M40.2 40th Anniversary.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(07-Jan-2019, 01:40)Jim_Anderson Wrote: I'm pretty bad at explaining audio differences and seem to fall into emotional response vs a proper technical analysis. This was not a blind test so please forgive me as both of us understood we were doing this challenge with pre-expectations (comparing a 200 dollar cable against a 5K cable). 

I’d suggest re-doing it blind before shelling out on cables....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

And maybe without the bottles of wine...... Exclamation
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
And maybe without the bottles of wine...... heresy
Upgrade to 40.2 - at 24K Cad, I'd get a second 250 first but excellent suggestion
Redo test - this time blind - in the cards for when the snow stops, mountain passes reopen and safe for Bro to travel from coast up to the interior.

I'm leaning to finding a second 250, similar to NickB's config - short cables to speakers - options calore on cable selection.

Thank you - jim