Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power???
This might sound a very silly question but hey! I am OLD!

Since I upgraded from a 200 to 400 I had assumed Idea that the 'master' switch controlled the power settings for both units.

I could not find any reference to this in the documentation (not that I looked particularly hard) that came with the companion and the documentation on the website is 'at best' pretty poor and generalistic (which I find inexcusable for a company providing farily expensive hifi - even the chinese selling cheap electronics are better at this by far! Angry )

Now, I do have these units stacked, so it is rather difficult to see the 'window' on the bottom unit, but whilst tipping the top unit up, I can see that when you give the top unit switch a quick jab of your finger, both units power up, which confirmed my assumptions.... however....

..after a session, I am in the habit of pressing the top button once, which fades the display (presumably to stand-by), than a second press thereafter seems to turn the top unit off completely, and this I assume does the same to the bottom unit... so I did expect to find a few hrs later that both units would be cold-ish... but no, the bottom unit is still pretty hot suggesting it is in 'operation' mode, the top, tepid, leading me to think that the bottom unit is NOT turning off as expected! Problem is, that in this 'stacked' configuration, which seems the 'norm' for many 400 users, as said before, you can't instantly see what state the bottom unit is in at any time.

Cam someone please explain to an old duffer like me how it should work, in theory and practice? Huh
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
This is normal that the companion is a little bit warm even when it is off.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Dual-Mono
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(24-Aug-2015, 11:25)octaviars Wrote: This is normal that the companion is a little bit warm even when it is off.

So, even though the top unit is (apparently) completely off (two button presses) with display totally off, then the bottom unit is off also?
I suppose I am rather surprised given the bottom unit is almost as hot as it is when running? Top unit by contract is only luke warm suggesting the bottom unit is transferring heat to the top one?

This means that I end up turning all off at the mains, which is a faff!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(24-Aug-2015, 13:45)teddlesdee Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 11:25)octaviars Wrote: This is normal that the companion is a little bit warm even when it is off.

So, even though the top unit is (apparently) completely off (two button presses) with display totally off, then the bottom unit is off also?
I suppose I am rather surprised given the bottom unit is almost as hot as it is when running? Top unit by contract is only luke warm suggesting the bottom unit is transferring heat to the top one?

I also suffered this problem when I had my D400 units "stacked". In the end I took drastic measures in my Hi Fi cupboard and re arranged it such that each unit is now mounted on a separate shelf. This at least means that each of the units has a good airflow around it, and whilst warm, do not feel overly so.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(24-Aug-2015, 13:45)teddlesdee Wrote:

I have both my Devialets on seperate shelvs and both are warm when they are off but the companion is a little warmer.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

So... forgive my ignorance, but say the units are on (fully lit display)...then you press the front button...as I understand it this sends the units into 'standby mode' and the display dims? ...and when you press again the whole thing shuts down, and the display is off? Is that right? ..or wrong?
(24-Aug-2015, 16:33)teddlesdee Wrote: So... forgive my ignorance, but say the units are on (fully lit display)...then you press the front button...as I understand it this sends the units into 'standby mode' and the display dims? ...and when you press again the whole thing shuts down, and the display is off? Is that right? ..or wrong?

That is correct. In standby only the master display is on and companion is dark. Another press and the master is dark also.

Second system