Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Silver Airplay 2 Capable?
Hello folks,
I have 2 Premier Silvers from early 2019 in a stereo setup through Dialog, all airplay enabled.  
I am still on the DOS1 and and even though I’ve read quite a lot about the DOS2 I could not figure if my current speakers and the Dialog are going to be Airplay 2 capable if I were to upgrade to DOS2, or is this only for new line of Pahantom I’s?

And given that I mostly use my Phantoms to listen Spotify using Spotify connect and rarely have connections issues and such with my PLC connection, do you think it is worth upgrading to DOS2?

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Charlie
(25-Mar-2021, 03:41)madthesurfer Wrote: Hello folks,
I have 2 Premier Silvers from early 2019 in a stereo setup through Dialog, all airplay enabled.  
I am still on the DOS1 and and even though I’ve read quite a lot about the DOS2 I could not figure if my current speakers and the Dialog are going to be Airplay 2 capable if I were to upgrade to DOS2, or is this only for new line of Pahantom I’s?

And given that I mostly use my Phantoms to listen Spotify using Spotify connect and rarely have connections issues and such with my PLC connection, do you think it is worth upgrading to DOS2?

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Charlie

My understanding is that for all Phantoms with an MFi chip (i.e. all that support Airplay 1), Airplay 2 is enabled in firmware 2.12.3 and later with no additional hardware version requirements.  

As to whether or not to update that is a tough one.  I have had no significant problems since updating my mid-2017 Phantom Golds to DOS 2, which is also the case for many others here.  Unfortunately the opposite is also the case for many others here who have suffered severe and seemingly intractable problems.  For this reason I don't consider the update to DOS 2 a "no brainer".  Have a look at the release note above and decide if there is any compelling reason for you to update (for me it was roon RAAT support).  If not then there is a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Hi Charlie,

I had a similar setup, DOS 1 + dialog + 2 x phantom silver. Optical to dialog and PLC from dialog to phantoms. This setup worked flawlessly.

When I Upgraded to DOS 2, I could not get dialog to work at all (this might have changed with newer versions of DOS 2, but at the time, it seemed that dialog was not supported at all). I was forced to re-wire my wall with build in wires only for PLC, to include the optical cable to the left phantom.
At the time, this seemed like the way to go with DOS 2 - people dropped dialog and let one phantom distribute to the other.
I have since had mixed experiences and drop-outs, I suspect mainly because my setup has went from being completely independant of wifi (the dialog was on ethernet), to now depend on it.
I have tried to set both phantoms to prefer PLC, but I am still uncertain if this helps.

I am not bashing DOS 2. I realise that this is the new common platform for all phantoms and it brings new features, so I am going along and hope that bumps will be ironed out.

Cheers,
Jacob

PS I totally agree with struts - if you have a stable system, and are not in need of anything specific in DOS 2, then stay with your stable well-sounding system and be happy about it.
Regarinding airplay, then it depends on both phantom and dialog hardware version. I suspect, that if your phantom currently support airplay 1, then it will now support airplay 2 under DOS 2, if the dialog will, I don't know. In my setup, it went from being the dialog that exposed airplay to now being on of the phantoms in a stereo setup.
2 Silver Phantoms, 2 Reactor 600, 2 remotes, Dialog, Geckos, located in Denmark
Just to add that my app is reporting that my mid-2017 Golds running DOS 2.12.5 are available for streaming via Airplay 2. No guarantees of course as I am not aware of any way I can actually prove that it is using Airplay 2 as opposed to Airplay 1, but it would be a blatant misrepresentation on the part of Devialet if this were not the case.

[Image: efe2169c9feaf424901dad2324fd41f0.jpg]

To @jacob’s point above, Dialog becomes redundant for some use cases in DOS 2 although it is apparently still supported so unclear why he was unable to get his working. Got that wrong earlier, apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worth noting I had 4 phantom silvers I upgraded to dos 2 and they all played via airplay 2 without a dialog
Only one of the 4 silvers had airplay the other 3 were older units that had Bluetooth but did not have airplay.
It seems the one airplay silver replaced the dialog and enabled the other 3 to have airplay 2as long as that one silver with airplay was on

So in conclusion if you have one silver with airplay on your network it will act as a dialogue and provide airplay to the other speakers without airplay
Also any silver with airplay will have airplay 2 after the dos2 update
(25-Mar-2021, 16:31)TechGuy Wrote: Worth noting I had 4 phantom silvers I upgraded to dos 2 and they all played via airplay 2 without a dialog
Only one of the 4 silvers had airplay the other 3 were older units that had Bluetooth but did not have airplay.
It seems the one airplay silver replaced the dialog and enabled the other 3 to have airplay 2as long as that one silver with airplay was on

So in conclusion if you have one silver with airplay on your network it will act as a dialogue and provide airplay to the other speakers without airplay
Also any silver with airplay will have airplay 2 after the dos2 update

Good point @TechGuy.  It has always been the case with the Phantom architecture that only one speaker (or a Dialog) needs to be Airplay-enabled and this remains the case with DOS 2/Airplay 2.  Not an issue for @madthesurfer whose Silvers are both MFi-enabled, but important for those with a mixture of units.
Dos2 does sound better with the golds than Dos1
How do I find out If my Silvers support Airplay? I have today Airplay running from AppleTV to the Dialogue,
The silvers have serial#
H51L00458EW02
H51L00347EW02
/Ola
(25-Mar-2021, 22:18)ola_jonsson Wrote: How do I find out If my Silvers support Airplay? I have today Airplay running from AppleTV to the Dialogue,
The silvers have serial#
H51L00458EW02
H51L00347EW02
/Ola

I don’t believe they do [mention]ola_jonsson [/mention] . AirPlay support was first released in 2016 and your Silvers predate that by a couple of years. Your Dialog may however support Airplay if it is of a later vintage. If your Dialog’s serial number ends in XTD it does not support Airplay, if it ends in X03 or X04 it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have two Phantom that predate airplay on DOS2. The Dialog provides Airplay 2 capabilities to my system and continues to update its firmware in tandem with the phantom. All three devices are currently on 2.12.5.