Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro CI and wifi & AIR challenges
Hi All,

My apologies for another thread on these issues, but I did search before posting. Even so, I need some help & guidance. As I search for streaming alternatives to Sonos, I have been trying to get AIR to work on my 220 Pro CI. I've had no luck from either the iMac running Cataina, with the latest AIR app, nor from a MacBook Air on Sierra, with the older app. The iMac can see the Devialet, but streaming does not work, and the MBA does not even see the Dev in the AIR app/ settings window.

In fussing with this, I also redid the conf. file to enable ethernet so I could try streaming via ethernet from the MBA. That was fine. But, I noticed that the wifi icon in the Dev display was crossed out. So I checked the config. file, and the wifi network and password are correct. I also tried it with the x0 prefix, just in case my wifi password is hexidecimal (whatever that really is).

The only change I made recently was to edit the config file to allow SAM for the Dali speakers. Which is great, BTW. 

So, does enabling ethernet disable wifi? I don't change configs very often and about a year ago the wifi went off, then I got it working again- can't remember what I did, unfortunately. But it did work until recently, because the iPhone app could find and connect to the Devialet. 

I'm trying to be brief with my description but I'm stumped as to why the wifi has become disabled on the amp. I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on firmware and DOS things. There are no faults listed, and connecting the amp to the household network with an ethernet cable to a network jack makes no difference. The antenna is in place, and the amp is in full view of the iMac and the wifi signal is strong, as far as I know. It hasn't changed in over a year. 

I'm stumped, so if anyone can jump in with any advice, I'd be grateful, as always.

>> I have also unplugged the amp, re-started it without any SD card, restarted the wifi modem thingy, made sure that wifi is enabled in the config. I'm sure it is something I'm doing incorrectly, but then again, wifi seems to have disabled itself. But I guess we always think 'it just happened!'
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I realize I posted my follow up in the wrong thread, and deleted it, but managed not to copy it.... typical.

In brief recap, it is now working. I used the 'factory reset' command on the amp, and redid the full power cycles, and wifi came back. I don't know why it worked today, when it is very much what I did for an hour yesterday, but there it is. I did not need to edit my config. file; it worked and so that suggests it was a hiccup within the amp, and resolved by clearing it's little brain. AIR also seems back in play. Ta da!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(28-Jan-2021, 18:52)Damon Wrote: I also tried it with the x0 prefix, just in case my wifi password is hexidecimal (whatever that really is).

Just in case it would still be helpful, the prefix signalizing a hexadecimal expression is usually 0x (zero, letter-x), not x0.

Hexadecimal is a way to encode a number, or a string including extended chars (accented letter, "exotic"…) that may become distorted in a file or in a transmission, using instead only hexadecimal digits ranging from 0 to F (0 to 9 and then A to F, hence a base 16, more convenient for computers than base 10 used for numbers in everyday life with digits up to 9). The extended digit values from 10 to 15 using the first letters of the alphabet are (should be) case-insensitive: for ex, a and A both represent the digit ten.
Encoding a letter in a string takes (at least) 2 hex(adecimal) digits. For ex, K is 0x4B (or 0x4b), and Ok is 0x4F6B (or 0x4f6b). k is 0x6B (or 0x6B), distinct from K (case is significant).

0x as a prefix lets some parsers interpret what follows (with no space in between) as hex digits, instead of plain, unencoded chars.
Unless it includes extended chars, the same string (password) may equally be expressed both unencoded and in hexadecimal.
Sometimes, only a hex expression is expected, then usually w/o any prefix (I don't think it's the case here).

Glad everything is back in order.