Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-Ject Phono Box S A/D
Is anyone successfully using the Pro-Ject Phono Box S with built in SPDIF to successfully connect a turntable into a Phantom setup?
This is the box (as discussed on the other thread about phono input) http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?pr...es&lang=en

I bought one but can't get it to play anything through the Dialog.

Frustratingly, you can only get the optical output to work if it's connected to a computer, so that's drawback number 1

However, with a Mac connected to it via USB and an optical link between the phono box and the Dialog, I can play audio from the computer, so I know the optical connection is good.

Playing a record, I can look at the Mac and see audio input from the vinyl into the computer, but that's going in over USB.
With a simultaneous connection into the Dialog... nothing.

I have a feeling this might be going back.  I want a stand alone device, not something that has to be plugged into a computer all the time...
And it doesn't work!  Unless I'm missing something?
Looks like the unit will be going back then as it does need to be connected to a powered on computer for the digital output to work.
Checkout the user manual page 3 section headed "Connection to the amplifier over S/PDIF".
Nb - this section also describes what computer settings are required.
Yeah I went through that last night but it still doesn't output from the phono stage over spdif, but I can get digital audio from the mac to play through it.
Spoken to the retailer this morning and they'll take it back, so for the record folks it's not an option for the Phantom.  Damn.
(22-Jan-2016, 11:50)pjlarge Wrote: Yeah I went through that last night but it still doesn't output from the phono stage over spdif, but I can get digital audio from the mac to play through it.
Spoken to the retailer this morning and they'll take it back, so for the record folks it's not an option for the Phantom.  Damn.

I'd have thought an USB power supply like the AQVOX would be the thing here. Connecting a computer will enumerate (or initialize) the USB chip and route the digital signal via USB. With 5V Vbus only the digital signal may be routed to SPDIF.  If you cut the D+ and D- leads of a cheap USB cable you'll get only the 5V from the PC and you can test
Just a thought... I have not tried.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
It is very easy to play vinyl through phantoms, I do it every night. Purchase a simple and cheap 20$ analog to digital connector with op out. There are several on Amazon.
Then Take the RCA out from the phono amp and into the converter then optical into dialogue. It works perfectly and Sounds fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(22-Jan-2016, 15:51)davidadamson Wrote: It is very easy to play vinyl through phantoms, I do it every night. Purchase a simple and cheap 20$ analog to digital connector with op out. There are several on Amazon.
Then Take the RCA out from the phono amp and into the converter then optical into dialogue. It works perfectly and Sounds fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one? http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app...-Converter
Only difference from the Pro-ject box is you need a phono EQ in addition. The CYP unit is very cheap though.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB