Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Upgrade program ending
(23-Apr-2017, 19:23)Damon Wrote: Hi TDA.

I'm far from an expert on any of this stuff, but I think that it is probable, and reasonable, that the upgrade from 'plain' Expert to Pro series will end at some point. Some have commented and complained about the previous upgrade availability, where it was given a limited time window for upgrades, then extended. I didn't expect the Pro upgrade availability to be open forever, but as you note, Devialet seems to be saying that the upgrade opportunity is ending shortly.

I think that two D250's make an 'old' D800. You would need two D250 Pro's to make a D1000 Pro, so you are taking a chance on a D-Prem or an Expert D250 if you think you want a D1000 Pro.

As to the sound quality and the upgrade question, that is just something that each person decides on their own. If you are satisfied, or even prefer, the sound of the Expert series to the Pro series, then you are buying in at the right time. Buy cheap and listen happy.

Hi Damon, 

Thanks for the Reply. 

i know that i would have to upgrade a D250 to a pro to ever have the posibility to go D1000. 

so i will just have to see if i should buy a used D250 and get it upgraded, or buy and new D250 pro. 

But there must some who are in a terrrible situation. Have bought a expensive D250 only a while back, and then finds out only after some months that it will be upgraded. and then will have to pay a significant big amount to get it upgraded. I would be furious..... 

I think the upgrades are to expensive... Devialet is actually helping depreciating their own products where before, they where actually very attractive second hand.
(24-Apr-2017, 08:38)TDA Wrote:

I'm far from an expert on any of this stuff, but I think that it is probable, and reasonable, that the upgrade from 'plain' Expert to Pro series will end at some point. Some have commented and complained about the previous upgrade availability, where it was given a limited time window for upgrades, then extended. I didn't expect the Pro upgrade availability to be open forever, but as you note, Devialet seems to be saying that the upgrade opportunity is ending shortly.

I think that two D250's make an 'old' D800. You would need two D250 Pro's to make a D1000 Pro, so you are taking a chance on a D-Prem or an Expert D250 if you think you want a D1000 Pro.

As to the sound quality and the upgrade question, that is just something that each person decides on their own. If you are satisfied, or even prefer, the sound of the Expert series to the Pro series, then you are buying in at the right time. Buy cheap and listen happy.

Hi Damon, 

Thanks for the Reply. 

i know that i would have to upgrade a D250 to a pro to ever have the posibility to go D1000. 

so i will just have to see if i should buy a used D250 and get it upgraded, or buy and new D250 pro. 

But there must some who are in a terrrible situation. Have bought a expensive D250 only a while back, and then finds out only after some months that it will be upgraded. and then will have to pay a significant big amount to get it upgraded. I would be furious..... 

I think the upgrades are to expensive... Devialet is actually helping depreciating their own products where before, they where actually very attractive second hand.

Actually you can't buy a 250PRO 'new' because they do no longer sell the 250-line. It's only 130->220->440->1000 at them moment. But they do update the old D-Premier/250s to PRO.
So get yourself the cheapest set of D-Premiers and update them to 1000PRO. If I'd have the cash I'd definitely go that way.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(24-Apr-2017, 09:48)yabaVR Wrote:
(24-Apr-2017, 08:38)TDA Wrote:

Hi Damon, 

Thanks for the Reply. 

Actually you can't buy a 250PRO 'new' because they do no longer sell the 250-line. It's only 130->220->440->1000 at them moment. But they do update the old D-Premier/250s to PRO.
So get yourself the cheapest set of D-Premiers and update them to 1000PRO. If I'd have the cash I'd definitely go that way.

gui

I don't think that's right. They don't advertise the 250Pro on their site but you can still buy one.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(24-Apr-2017, 09:54)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(24-Apr-2017, 08:38)TDA Wrote: Hi Damon, 

Thanks for the Reply. 

gui

I don't think that's right. They don't advertise the 250Pro on their site but you can still buy one.

you can buy a D250 pro.. They just don't advertize it. 

it's a hard choice...
(24-Apr-2017, 09:54)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(24-Apr-2017, 08:38)TDA Wrote: Hi Damon, 

Thanks for the Reply. 

gui

You want to tell me I don't have to hit them hard to sell me a 'new' 250PRO and earn them a bunch of shiny greenback ...oh, didn't think of such lousy business of Devialet   Angel 
You're right...think they even sold all their staff's grandmothers to get on the money train.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
So get yourself the cheapest set of D-Premiers and update them to 1000PRO. If I'd have the cash I'd definitely go that way.

Thats exactly what Im doing .. I am enjoying my D prems and cant get to do the UG right now cos Im getting new speakers today and need the dprems for a month .. I am comparing my existing speakers to the new ones for a month and only then do I have to buy or the dealer will take em back.
Does the 15 may thing apply to the whole UG or just that the free streamer board wont be offered along the UG?
At any rate , if the UG ending date is written in stone , I will do it before 15th.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(24-Apr-2017, 14:47)Rodney Gold Wrote: So get yourself the cheapest set of D-Premiers and update them to 1000PRO. If I'd have the cash I'd definitely go that way.

Thats exactly what Im doing .. I am enjoying my D prems and cant get to do the UG right now cos Im getting new speakers today and need the dprems for a month .. I am comparing my existing speakers to the new ones for a month and only then do I have to buy or the dealer will take em back.
Does the 15 may thing apply to the whole UG or just that the free streamer board wont be offered along the UG?
At any rate , if the UG ending date is written in stone , I will do it before 15th.

Hey Rodney.

thanks for the advise. 

I also wonder if the UG window really closes.. Because i could buy and D250 and live with it for a long time and still be satisfied. We don't even know WTF that streamerboard really will do, so i could just save 3500 euros and buy and Aurender N100H and have and SSD streamer which is top notch instead..
TDA,
Apologies for telling you things you already know. if you have, or will have, the budget to go to the D1000 Pro, then it makes sense to plan and purchase accordingly. I'm sure that used D250 Pro's will be available on the used market in the future; used D1000's as well. Knowing where we will settle is always hard. I just know that planning for a continuing series of upgrades is not, usually, the cost-consicious way to get there.

I'm not lecturing you, by the way. I'm at the end of my career in terms of playing with the equipment or changing things, and I've settled out at more modest level of investment and performance than many.

I don't feel the upgrades were unreasonably priced, however. Recent purchasers were able to upgrade for less than those of us who have had our units longer. I think that a $1,500.00 power cable, or a $10,000.00 power supply (Naim) represent a lot less 'value' than the Devialet upgrade. And no upgrade option would have been more disappointing and damaging than having no upgrade option available. Anyhow, that just how I see it.

I hope the upgrade opportunity works out for you so that you can stage the speaker and amp purchases comfortably.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(24-Apr-2017, 15:44)Damon Wrote: TDA,
Apologies for telling you things you already know. if you have, or will have, the budget to go to the D1000 Pro, then it makes sense to plan and purchase accordingly. I'm sure that used D250 Pro's will be available on the used market in the future; used D1000's as well. Knowing where we will settle is always  hard. I just know that planning for a continuing series of upgrades is not, usually, the cost-consicious way to get there.

I'm not lecturing you, by the way. I'm at the end of my career in terms of playing with the equipment or changing things, and I've settled out at more modest level of investment and performance than many.

I don't feel the upgrades were unreasonably priced, however. Recent purchasers were able to upgrade for less than those of us who have had our units longer. I think that a $1,500.00 power cable, or a $10,000.00 power supply (Naim) represent a lot less 'value' than the Devialet upgrade. And no upgrade option would have been more disappointing and damaging than having no upgrade option available. Anyhow, that just how I see it.

I hope the upgrade opportunity works out for you so that you can stage the speaker and amp purchases comfortably.
Hi Damon, 

thank you for the honest reply and i didn't feel anything in any negativ way. 

I don't have a budget. but i am in the same situation as many others, who wants to make the right purchase from the start. When that is said, i am also a guy who buy what i want, even though it is not the perfect choice for others. Maybe it is for me. 

I had a D200 for 8 months ( downgraded from D400) and i wasn't active in this forum in that periode. I used DC for installing and to swop ideas with fellow forum members, but after i got a new job last year, i didn't have the time to be online so much. It was also the time where my D200 really broke in. And then i started enjoying the product. Not searching all the time for tweeks and the last 5%. Just listening and enjoying. 

i then got tired of the huge power consumption. Even en standby mode it uses a lot of power. And i didn't use it as much, so when i saw the prices on Devialet on the used marked i sold it. I got a good price for it. 

We where going to try some other brands which intergrated with the livingroom better, but after auditioning other brands, i simply cannot find anything that suite me soundwise. 

and when seeing what i used D250 can be bought for i am really tempted to buy one. And i heard that the standby power consumption is reduced significant in the pro models. Is that correct?

but i don't know yet what solution i should buy. A D250 and upgraded it now or wait and hope that it can be done later. Or buy a D250 pro now. in the end it depends on how cheap i can get a Pro for.
(24-Apr-2017, 17:39)TDA Wrote: We where going to try some other brands which intergrated with the livingroom better, but after auditioning other brands, i simply cannot find anything that suite me soundwise. 

Do you mind me asking what you auditioned?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12