Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qnap NAS to Devialet?
I've been storing my music library and using a QNAP T-112 both with and without media server packages like Twonky and Minimserver. I could be wrong (I am in no way an expert) but as far as I know, you cannot connect the QNAP NAS directly to a device using the USB or eSATA but you can connect an external drive to it via these inputs. Having just moved from a UPnP environment/streamer set up to the Devialet 120 less than two weeks ago, I had to purchased a Mac Mini and connect the computer to the 120 via USB. At this time, it is proving to be the best solution.

However, I also have a LaCIe 2TB drive which contains my library backup. I could try connecting it directly to the 120 but can anyone suggest a control point/app to read and manage the library.

Ideally, it would be great to eliminate the computer and just use a control point and have the 120 be UPnP friendly.

EDIT- I should add, if anyone has any ideas on how I could perhaps try a few tests by installing a package on the QNAP, I am willing to try!
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
(28-Feb-2015, 04:30)Ants Wrote: I've been storing my music library and using a QNAP T-112 both with and without media server packages like Twonky and Minimserver. I could be wrong (I am in no way an expert) but as far as I know, you cannot connect the QNAP NAS directly to a device using the USB or eSATA but you can connect an external drive to it via these inputs. Having just moved from a UPnP environment/streamer set up to the Devialet 120 less than two weeks ago, I had to purchased a Mac Mini and connect the computer to the 120 via USB. At this time, it is proving to be the best solution.

However, I also have a LaCIe 2TB drive which contains my library backup. I could try connecting it directly to the 120 but can anyone suggest a control point/app to read and manage the library.

Ideally, it would be great to eliminate the computer and just use a control point and have the 120 be UPnP friendly.

EDIT- I should add, if anyone has any ideas on how I could perhaps try a few tests by installing a package on the QNAP, I am willing to try!

Big news coming up for your! JRiver will finally be available on NAS - for all QNAP users in the next couple of days.
So you can directly connect the QNAP NAS via USB-Audio Out to the Devialet and manager your library with the Jriver mobile app Smile
(09-Nov-2015, 23:33)markush Wrote:
(28-Feb-2015, 04:30)Ants Wrote: I've been storing my music library and using a QNAP T-112 both with and without media server packages like Twonky and Minimserver. I could be wrong (I am in no way an expert) but as far as I know, you cannot connect the QNAP NAS directly to a device using the USB or eSATA but you can connect an external drive to it via these inputs. Having just moved from a UPnP environment/streamer set up to the Devialet 120 less than two weeks ago, I had to purchased a Mac Mini and connect the computer to the 120 via USB. At this time, it is proving to be the best solution.

Big news coming up for your! JRiver will finally be available on NAS - for all QNAP users in the next couple of days.
So you can directly connect the QNAP NAS via USB-Audio Out to the Devialet and manager your library with the Jriver mobile app Smile

The JRiver install for Qnap is now live. Details in this post at the JRiver forum: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.ph...c=101823.0
TS-251 or TS-251+ is very tempting. Or maybe the fanless HS-251+
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
A JRiver equipped NAS is indeed interesting, relatively simple, plus the benefit of the excellent JRemote control app. This might be a crazy thought, but I do wonder if running Windows 2012 server plus AIR / WASAPI on a NAS might be better for sound quality? Why? Well I'm not totally convinced that the USB output on a Qnap will be that optimal from a sound quality perspective?
(10-Dec-2015, 10:06)Confused Wrote: A JRiver equipped NAS is indeed interesting, relatively simple, plus the benefit of the excellent JRemote control app.  This might be a crazy thought, but I do wonder if running Windows 2012 server plus AIR / WASAPI on a NAS might be better for sound quality?  Why?  Well I'm not totally convinced that the USB output on a Qnap will be that optimal from a sound quality perspective?

It is difficult to know. I do not know which USB hardware Qnap is using on these boxes. As the processor is Intel I'd guess that it may be some Intel chip or even integrated in the SOC. My experience is that I get better sound from USB via linux/alsa than 2012R2 on the same NUC. And better stability..
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
I have tried connecting my TS-231 to my D200 via USB but did not manage to get any sound. I had been trying constantly for two days without results. I ended up buying musichi software for my i3 laptop, connect it via USB to D200, streaming through ethernet from TS-231 and i live happily ever after
Did you install Music Station? I thought one should be able to select USB as output within Music Station. Maybe the Devialet does not work with USB 3.0 ports. I do not own a Qnap so I can't test.
Devialetless!
Yep. It just could not see the amp as an audio output device. Maybe my hardware is outdated and at the next models we will see some improvement. Is nay case it is too late now, i have already set up my laptop .
(08-Apr-2016, 19:08)ogs Wrote: Did you install Music Station? I thought one should be able to select USB as output within Music Station. Maybe the Devialet does not work with USB 3.0 ports. I do not own a Qnap so I can't test.

I have connected my QNAP NAS to my D using both USB 2 and 3. Both work fine and I cannot detect any difference in SQ between them.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(09-Apr-2016, 13:29)Axel Wrote:
(08-Apr-2016, 19:08)ogs Wrote: Did you install Music Station? I thought one should be able to select USB as output within Music Station. Maybe the Devialet does not work with USB 3.0 ports. I do not own a Qnap so I can't test.

I have connected my QNAP NAS to my D using both USB 2 and 3. Both work fine and I cannot detect any difference in SQ between them.

I have a Qnap TS-251+ connected via USB to the Devialet 120.
Iam using Kodi as a Audio Player - works like a charm (: