Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about d440 connection between master-slave
I have been a happy owner of a d220 pro with CI, especially now my Roon RAAT issues have been resolved.

I am about to get a second d220, to make a d440 pro with CI. I have the config files all ready to go and have reviewed the wiring diagrams in the configurator screens

I have read all the posts I could find and have a couple of questions left:

1. if I am using a coax digital cable between master and slave, that is all I need in theory?

2. If I want to add the tether cable, can someone give me recommendations on brand/make?

3. If I want to use an RCA-to-XLR cable instead of digital RCA-RCA, do I need to use the tether to activate the XLR input on the slave?

Thank you for your inputs.
(06-Feb-2021, 16:26)pvanosta Wrote: 1. if I am using a coax digital cable between master and slave, that is all I need in theory?

Yes, that should be all you need. Oh, as well as another SD card for the companion, of course.

(06-Feb-2021, 16:26)pvanosta Wrote: 2. If I want to add the tether cable, can someone give me recommendations on brand/make?

I think you're referring to the trigger cable...?  In which case, I'd say just find something cheap and cheerful; mine is by the brand "Syncwire" and seems reasonably well made.

(06-Feb-2021, 16:26)pvanosta Wrote: 3. If I want to use an RCA-to-XLR cable instead of digital RCA-RCA, do I need to use the tether to activate the XLR input on the slave?

No, you can use RCA-to-XLR without the trigger cable -- at least, I have done so in the past.  However, the Configurator is a bit fiddly in this area and you have to do things in the right order to end up with a working configuration.  I'm sorry to say I can't give you the exact sequence off the top of my head, but I think it was detailed in another thread (possibly by @Daniel.avasilichioaei?).

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the 440!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
thank you!

And the trigger cable is basically any decent cable with 3.5mm jack on either side?
If anyone can provide info on the correct config/procedure for using an RCA-XLR interconnect, that would be great, thanks Smile
(06-Feb-2021, 17:38)pvanosta Wrote: thank you!

And the trigger cable is basically any decent cable with 3.5mm jack on either side?

Yes, exactly that, as far as I know.

By the way, these days I believe Devialet recommend using RCA-to-RCA to link the master and companion. I have a feeling this might date from the introduction of the Pro models, but I don't know whether there is some technical rationale behind it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
A couple things I learned the hard way...

— You really only need the trigger cable if you want to configure your 440 to support inputs on both Expert Pros. But if you want to use inputs on both Expert Pros, I believe you must go RCA to RCA.

— Once you go dual-mono you should no longer re-edit your configuration online. Any updates to the config require you to start a new config from scratch. Devialet is aware of this bug but... well, Devialet.

I have my 440 configured with RCA-to-RCA and a trigger cable. Works like a charm.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(06-Feb-2021, 17:38)pvanosta Wrote: thank you!

If you will use trigger cable, it must be a stereo one (not mono).
Quality is not so important: this cable is for commands only, and not for audio signal.
thanks all for your inputs. I have prepared new config files, ready to be copied to the memory cards and have an RCA-RCA coax digital ready to go, as well as the trigger cable for future use.