Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about making a backup disk
Using a mini running Yosemite and Audirvana for my music listening. 
All my music is on external USB hd. How can I make an exact copy
Of that's disk?
I'm a comuter dummy so please keep explanations simple. 

Cheers
Michael
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
I take it you mean you'd like to make a back-up copy of the USB hard disk, for safe-keeping?  Do you have another external drive to copy the music onto, or did you have something else in mind?

To do a disk-to-disk copy you could use tools supplied with the OS by issuing commands in the Terminal program but from your post I gather you would prefer something easier to work with.

The most user-friendly way to do it is probably to use a directory synchronisation tool.  Those tools are designed to keep a back-up disk in sync with what's on a master disk.  The one I use is Destek Folder Sync, which I find reliable and easy to use.  Searching for "OS X folder sync" will help you find other options.

By the way: don't forget to keep your back-up drive somewhere physically separate from your Mac Mini, unless you have another back-up mechanism as well.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
How much space are the music files using on your hard disk?

Do you anticipate adding more music files and needing to back up again?

I assume your external HD is connected to your Mac Mini?

It should be really easy to make a backup based on your answers above.

Also good answer by Ian above ... ^^^
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Thanks baddog and thumb5! My collection is only around 120 gb. My main concern is backing up the music I already have. Only occasional add music. Yes it' an external disc connected to the minis USB port.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Hello, for such purposes I use for years the tool "CarbonCopy Cloner". Easy to use and offers everything for data backup! From CCC there is also a test license !!
https://bombich.com
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria