Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on AIR vs ethernet?
Hello. Debating on getting streamer or using AIR from a dedicated Mac. From reading the forums it looks like AIR is at least equal to most streamers in the 1-2K range when it comes to sound quality. Assuming that this is the case, will this setup work well?

Router - ethernet cable - D200 - speakers

Control it via my Macbook pro via wifi
The streaming proposition is moving at a hell of a pace whereas the AIR proposition has been static for quite a while albeit from a high starting point.

A poll on here seemed to place AIR ahead of streaming but that was, on average, a few months ago.

AIR, whether wifi or ethernet, has stability problems (white noise or crackles or dropouts), and based on data on here it appears to affect about 50% of users, some in a minor way and some much more significantly.

I suggest you try AIR ethernet first as, when stable, the sound is absolutely superb and it will cost you little. And at some point I hope Devialet will fix the stability issue.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(26-Mar-2015, 22:58)actx76092 Wrote: Hello.  Debating on getting streamer or using AIR from a dedicated Mac.  From reading the forums it looks like AIR is at least equal to most streamers in the 1-2K range when it comes to sound quality.  Assuming that this is the case, will this setup work well?

Router - ethernet cable - D200 - speakers

Control it via my Macbook pro via wifi

Your last question " will it work well?". That appears to be a case of pot luck. Some people have no problems with AIR and others have a lot of problems as Ian highlights above.

If you are one of the lucky ones and have no issues then AIR sounds sublime in my opinion. I have not tested it against a streamer, but I have compared it to my CD player and its much better than that.

A streamer is also something that I am considering, but if AIR was more stable for me I would definitely stick with this for a while at least.
I have the same debate going on in my head....would a streamer give me a significant step up? Only way to find out is to compare.

Like I say if you are lucky and have no issues with AIR i am sure you will be more than impressed.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
AIR over Ethernet is working great for me. I have heard the crackles a couple times, but a power cycle on my 250 cures it.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
since last couple of hours on AIR_ETH + Macbook-air- Not a single drop out and its all good SQ too!

very soon will be on Bluesound Node (thanks to HK for his thread) only because i don't want to manage from my macbook air for audio purposes.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
I just switched from using AIR ETH and USB with a Mac Mini to a Moon Mind 180 streamer and the sound quality difference is noticeable. The streamer sounds better. It just seems a little smoother on the top end, a little less harsh and simply conveys music in a more natural sounding manner. After three days of listening and going back to my top 20-30 tracks as reference, vocals seems more natural sounding with a wider more spatial sound.

Perhaps once the AIR software issue is resolved, I may decide to revisit using AIR but for the time being I am happy to be able to get better quality sound from a streamer, removing the computer from the equation and reintroducing UPnP to the mix.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)