Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to all Etherregen users
I hope it will work for you.

This is obviously a tricky bug. I had some instability with RaaT quite some time ago. Not the infamous slow downloading, but music would stop occasionally (between twice a day to once every couple of days). When looking at Roon, it was like if I had stopped the music myself, and hitting play would restart everything fine.

I eventually (completely by chance) pin pointed it to be cause by the antivirus I had on my mac (Symantec Endpoint Protection). I had to remove it for a different reason and suddenly no more issue.

Then about 3 months ago, I saw appearing the infamous slow download and therefore RaaT became unusable for me (full disclosure, I'm not using any high res file, I have downsampled everything to 16/44.1).

It lasted for about a month and since then, it is working fine again.

The only change I can think of is security updates on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. Nothing has changed on my network, nothing has changed on my Devialet.

Even more troublesome, sometimes my Roon remote on my iPad, cannot see my Roon core on my mac if they are not connected on the same Wifi access point. This does not make sense since all the APs are on a single L2 network and they are connected as pure bridges. It works most of the time, but sometime it does not and I have not been able to identify the cause. (By the way, it is hard to accuse Devialet in that later problem because it is not involved at all  Rolleyes )

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Team,

Quick report on the Melco vs EtheRegen in my system.

Although I had very high hopes, and invested a lot with a super optmized set up including:
- a Cybershaft OP21A-D super clock (some claim is the best on the market)
- a very high end clock cable (Shunyata Sigma)
- a 3D printed aluminium heatsink I designed myself,
- a high end grounding cable

And although I love dealing with Uptone...

The Melco with the Uptone LPS-1.2 is just clearly better in my environment. After replacing it back I got back to the amazing flow, transparency, naturalness and un-digital sound I had somehow lost with the EtheRegen.

I tried various combinations (removing the clock,...) but the Melco + LPS always ends up being the clearly better option. And that is with the same Ethernet cable (Shunyata Omega).

I’ll probably send the EtheRegen back to Uptone if I find the time to have it checked because the result is both surprising and disappointing to me considering how much I invested.

Fortunately the clock will be used to drive a Mutec once I get the right LPS for it in a few months.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(06-Sep-2020, 22:00)bernardl Wrote: Team,

Although I had very high hopes, and invested a lot with a super optmized set up including:

The Melco with the Uptone LPS-1.2 is just clearly better in my environment. After replacing it back I got back to the amazing flow, transparency, naturalness and un-digital sound I had somehow lost with the EtheRegen.

I tried various combinations (removing the clock,...) but the Melco + LPS always ends up being the clearly better option. And that is with the same Ethernet cable (Shunyata Omega).

I’ll probably send the EtheRegen back to Uptone if I find the time to have it checked because the result is both surprising and disappointing to me considering how much I invested.

Fortunately the clock will be used to drive a Mutec once I get the right LPS for it in a few months.

Cheers,
Bernard
Hi Bernard, i've been using the Melco S100 with an SBooster power supply for about 5 months. Can fully agree with your experiences with the S100. The S100 stays in the chain, and the theme switch has been done for me!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(07-Sep-2020, 11:21)K4680 Wrote:

Cheers,
Bernard
Hi Bernard, i've been using the Melco S100 with an SBooster power supply for about 5 months. Can fully agree with your experiences with the S100. The S100 stays in the chain, and the theme switch has been done for me!

Thanks for your feedbacks!

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi Bernard,
Did you ever try chaining your clocked ehterregen -> Melco s100 or the other way round (with / without fiber). Would be interested to know if there any upside in keeping both in a chain.
thanks
ex-Expert 210 Pro 
No, I haven't tried that.

I must confess I am a bit tired with trying things... Wink

Cheers,
Bernard
Yeah, it's an endless road to hifi heaven ;-)

A question a little bit off this road, how does the Melco S100 compare to the SOtM sNH-10G with internal clock?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(28-Sep-2020, 14:02)Bartype Wrote: Yeah, it's an endless road to hifi heaven ;-)

A question a little bit off this road, how does the Melco S100 compare to the SOtM sNH-10G with internal clock?

Interested to hear in others experiences with all of the audio network switches now on the market.......
I must say that I am delighted by my S10 with dedicated power supply. Combined with Shunyata omega ethernet cables it’s... way too expensive... but also very impressive.

Cheers,
Bernard

You guys should watch this scientific review of the eitherregen and other “audiophile Ethernet switches”