Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAAT vs Upnp
Now that the phantoms are roon ready, is it worth it to use roon? I currently use audirvana and use upnp to stream to gold phantoms. Is there a difference in quality between upnp and RAAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-Feb-2021, 06:06)Hrithik0015 Wrote: Now that the phantoms are roon ready, is it worth it to use roon? I currently use audirvana and use upnp to stream to gold phantoms. Is there a difference in quality between upnp and RAAT?

A bit off topic, but could you please try streaming some 24/192 material over UPnP if you are on DOS2 and report back?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
When I tested in Audirvana today via UPNP it plays a 24/192 track as 24/96 to my silver phantoms
(02-Feb-2021, 07:54)TechGuy Wrote: When I tested in Audirvana today via UPNP it plays a 24/192 track as 24/96 to my silver phantoms

Same! Just tried it. Roon plays 24/192 as 24/48.

@TechGuy and @Hrithik0015
Thanks a lot!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I just updated to 1.12.3
Out of the box the Devialet are setup in Roon only as 'Renderer' and Roon down samples the output to 24/48kHz.

Whent into the advanced settings of the Speakers within Roon and switched the Phantoms to 'decoder and render' now no down sampling is apparent.

EDIT: what the Phantom decoder samples the input too I don't know.

EDIT2: now I only have to wait for Roon to support Tidal Family accounts (tie the account to the profile rather than the core - the request is only pending 4+ years now)
Fortunately I work in IT so I've set up 2 cores on my server as a work around for now (wife's core set as default and I switch when I need it myself)

I don't have equipment to test what actually exits the Speaker[Image: 853d1eee6790f444d99fee46de267a63.jpg][Image: 51cc9bd7b065127fde8ca56486e1bdef.jpg]
My question is if bit vs Hz is the important thing here.
Like 24/96.48 vs 24/192
What about the protocol itself?
Upnp vs RAAT.
They both have the same rating 24/96.48
So what drive me to use roon vs lets say Audirvana ?
Golds
(02-Feb-2021, 09:19)The source Wrote: My question is if bit vs Hz is the important thing here.
Like 24/96.48 vs 24/192
What about the protocol itself?
Upnp vs RAAT.
They both have the same rating 24/96.48
So what drive me to use roon vs lets say Audirvana ?
For me personally while Audirvana is cheaper then Roon I prefer having Roon core running in Linux on my server than the need to maintain another Windows instance.
Last time I looked into Audirvana was 1-2 years ago and I had issues on my admittedly complex home network.
Roon worked for me out of the box and I can control all music to all my different speakers from one central location. The last part is also true for Audirvana I think (as said I didn't test it for too long)
(02-Feb-2021, 08:05)Bean86 Wrote: I just updated to 1.12.3
Out of the box the Devialet are setup in Roon only as 'Renderer' and Roon down samples the output to 24/48kHz.

Whent into the advanced settings of the Speakers within Roon and switched the Phantoms to 'decoder and render' now no down sampling is apparent.

I don't have equipment to test what actually exits the Speaker[Image: 853d1eee6790f444d99fee46de267a63.jpg][Image: 51cc9bd7b065127fde8ca56486e1bdef.jpg]

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Renderer'
- Roon performs first unfold, I.e. 48kHz to 96kHz and MQA rendering information is retained
- Phantom down samples to 48kHz

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Decoder and Renderer'
- Roon performs no re-sampling, I.e. the 48kHz audio is passed to Phantom
- Phantom performs no re-sampling

Phantom has no MQA capability and to avoid confusion, should perhaps be set to 'No MQA support'.
- Roon performs first unfold, but importantly does not retain any MQA rendering information

For more information check out the Roon KB
(02-Feb-2021, 13:36)alandbush Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 08:05)Bean86 Wrote: I just updated to 1.12.3

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Renderer'
- Roon performs first unfold, I.e. 48kHz to 96kHz and MQA rendering information is retained

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Decoder and Renderer'
- Roon performs no re-sampling, I.e. the 48kHz audio is passed to Phantom
- Phantom performs no re-sampling

Phantom has no MQA capability and to avoid confusion, should perhaps be set to 'No MQA support'.
- Roon performs first unfold, but importantly does not retain any MQA rendering information

For more information check out the Roon KB

Set to Renderer and turn off the enable MQA core decoder under advanced setting. It won't downsample to 48khz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk