Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIAA curve
I'm a new owner of a D200 and enjoying it very much - quick question for those with turntables - having read about the RIAA curves I was just wondering if folks had a preference for one or the other.  Just curious.  I've been using the 1954 curve with the subsonic filter on.

Great forum by the way - really informative and helpful!
(10-Feb-2015, 04:03)Spindrift Wrote: I'm a new owner of a D200 and enjoying it very much - quick question for those with turntables - having read about the RIAA curves I was just wondering if folks had a preference for one or the other.  Just curious.  I've been using the 1954 curve with the subsonic filter on.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I too run the 1954 curve as I think it sounds better than the 1976 but not by much. Wee wee bit better bass and 'ambience' in recordings. Just play around with settings as it take some time to find your preferences. Have fun even if the configurator may play some pranks with you so be observant on strange behavior after configuration.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I run the 1976 as some of my vinyl has a little warpage.
I run the 1976 too. Without a low cut filter there will be spurious bass output due to the interaction between the music and the mechanical resonance of the sensor, not just warpage. This is inherent in the way record players work and is inevitable. It can be subjectively preferable as it is largely benign, but not accurate.
There was always a question mark about whether a low cut analogue filter degraded the sound more than this spurious output, but with the Devialet digital equalisation this is no longer at issue.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks so much for the replies and tips - interesting how powerful it is to do the processing in the digital domain!
(10-Feb-2015, 04:03)Spindrift Wrote: I'm a new owner of a D200 and enjoying it very much - quick question for those with turntables - having read about the RIAA curves I was just wondering if folks had a preference for one or the other.  Just curious.  I've been using the 1954 curve with the subsonic filter on.

Where do you set subsonic on? Is it in the speaker's settings high pass filter (e.g. 20Hz)? In Phono I don't find this option. Or do you refer to the remote button setting "subsonic"?
(15-Feb-2015, 09:57)Mohmm Wrote:

Where do you set subsonic on? Is it in the speaker's settings high pass filter (e.g. 20Hz)? In Phono I don't find this option. Or do you refer to the remote button setting "subsonic"?

I have one of the remote buttons set to subsonic on - when I press it - a "bass" sign is displayed.  I believe it is a 20 Hz filter. . 
(17-Feb-2015, 14:52)Spindrift Wrote:
(15-Feb-2015, 09:57)Mohmm Wrote:

I have one of the remote buttons set to subsonic on - when I press it - a "bass" sign is displayed.  I believe it is a 20 Hz filter. . 

IIRC the subsonic mode has 2 functions. For the phono input it switches between the two RIAA curves (which gives a fixed by the RIAA standard rumble filter, or not) for all other inputs it gives a configurable high pass filter.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Ok with the new filters, assigning subsonic doesn't toggle betwee 1954 and 1976, it's back to turning subsonic on or off.

I wish I could default it to off, 1976 has no body with the subsonic on, and I assume the curve is already doing it to some degree.

Thoughts?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2