Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROON vs JRiver?
It is certainly worth spending the effort to 'learn' Roon. It offers an excellent way for me to browse my expanding music collection (some of which wasn't always the best organised). The Tidal integration is excellent (But, I agree you need decent broadband). The sound quality is first rate and there is massive flexibility with how you configure your music server hardware.

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
Your wrote:
[One could also use the headless Roon core options now available for the Mac & PC....]

Bit confused about this (doesn't take much these days!)... The PC has roon installed, and its a faff with min max needs...., yes, I have an android device for remote, and this works well, however I have failed to fathom out running the PC as core??? Is this a different program, or a setting?

Is there a way of making the scrolling albums smaller? I have so many without the correct image or is labelled 'Unknown', it is hard to focus on the small writing below to id what you are browsing.......

Also - don't suppose there is an equaliser somewhere? Smile

Dee
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Roon looks interesting to me, I do like the easy access to information it can provide. However, due to my own preferences, personality foibles and defects, the existence of "track ratings" is essential for me. Roon does not support this within it's metadata, so for now, Roon is not something I'm going to sign up to.

I understand that track ratings metadata is on the long term "to do" list. So maybe one day........

As for JRiver, I find it easy to use and so far it has offered the best sound quality of the music software I have tried so far, not that I've tried them all though.
(27-Aug-2015, 14:07)teddlesdee Wrote: Your wrote:
[One could also use the headless Roon core options now available for the Mac & PC....]

Bit confused about this (doesn't take much these days!)... The PC has roon installed, and its a faff with min max needs...., yes, I have an android device for remote, and this works well, however I have failed to fathom out running the PC as core??? Is this a different program, or a setting?

Is there a way of making the scrolling albums smaller? I have so many without the correct image or is labelled 'Unknown', it is hard to focus on the small writing below to id what you are browsing.......

Also - don't suppose there is an equaliser somewhere?  Smile

Dee

Hi Dee - If your PC has Roon installed and you specified the music file locations, I assume it is the Core. Meaning it is the system that is managing your music library. If you only use that PC with Roon running on it to manage your music library ( and I assume your DAC is connected to it ) you can migrate to Roonserver on that system. Roon will then be running as a service ( which you can set to start up automatically ) and it will have no GUI. See notes below:

RoonServer
Headless server builds are now available. 
Our website will be updated with more detailed setup instructions for new users in the coming days.
For now, Roon users wishing to migrate their libraries to RoonServer can find download links and setup instructions here.

This thread details further the new features in Roon 1.1

When you first installed Roon on the PC you probably indicated you wanted it to manage your music library, that in effect made it the "core". You can only have one core unless you purchase another license. You can have as many remotes as you want.

So if you switch to Roonserver you would do all the configuration for Roon via your tablet. 

And yes there is a way to make album covers smaller. I am not at home at the moment, but you will find it in the settings ( I will update when I get home ).

There is a fair amount of detail on all of the above on the Roon Community site that you will find by clicking the links I posted above.

Hope this is enough to get you started.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
To follow up on smaller album sizes.

In Roon - >Settings

Set "Allow for more covers and Photos?" to Yes.

This will go from displaying a grid of say 3*2 ( 6 per page ) to a grid of 4*12 ( 12 per page ).
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Good to know. Thks.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Last night I thought I would explore the idea of going headless (No- I have no intention of becoming a photo-opportunity with IS!)...

So I looked, and looked, and looked.. well buried isn't it... and looked!

It appears that you need to have a degree in puzzles or be apprenticed to Sherlock Holmes to find the download then!

Of course I also could be totally stupid!
I tried googling Roon Headless (since most refer to it by this name)... nothing... Roon pages...nothing... Roon download page...nothing!

...then tripped up purely by accident on the inference that Roon refer to this sware as "RoonServer"... AHHHHH I thought!

Googled that... nothing... Glass of whiskey maybe? YUP!

After two nice large ones - by total accident I found some links buried in a thread in their forum! WAYYY-HEY!

Jeez! They REAAAALLY don't want anyone to find it do they!

Dee
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Glad the whiskey helps! Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(28-Aug-2015, 09:14)teddlesdee Wrote: Jeez! They REAAAALLY don't want anyone to find it do they!

Dee

In their defence, it has literally just been released.... Wink And since it came as part of v1.1 which was a big release for them, they're probably dealing with masses of workload. Their forums, btw, are THE source of all info including releases, and the developers are very active there.

I moved over to the headless version yesterday, and upgraded to 1.1 at the same time, and it was flawless.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

There's probably a good reason why it's buried in the post about Roon 1.1 on their website, you have to follow the instructions to ensure the folder name containing your Roon database is changed.

Went headless Roon yesterday, and it's brilliant. Can't wait for the iOS app, but I'm also tempted to get a lower end Surface Pro 3 and use that as a Roon Remote. The slightly larger screen would be perfect for Roon's rich graphical interface, and it will be somewhat cheaper than the iPad Pro.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)