Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PHANTOM REFURBISHED
Hi all,

I have owned a Phamtom Silver for four years now. Still mind blowing in terms of sound and especially low tones. Unfortunately I also had some instability issues. Fortunately, that has been resolved since the update to DOS2.

I'm about to move next month. I promised myself that this is also the time to buy a 2nd Phantom so that I can have a stereo pair. I've been looking for a 2nd Hans copy lately for this. Unfortunately I haven't come across it well until now. Until yesterday I was also thinking about a pair of Phantom 2 900's (and then selling my silver).

Until yesterday I came across the offer for the refurbished Phantom on the Devialet site (https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/phantom-s...furbished/). On a whim I immediately ordered two (afraid that they will no longer be available because it is a black friday promotion)

Now I'm actually starting to think what exactly I bought :-D. I saw that there is no Airplay on it. That's okay since, except for a laptop, I don't use the Apple ecosystem. It is a DOS2 and the output seems the same as the new Phantom 1 103db. In addition, there is a two-year warranty.

A few questions
  • What do you guys think about this deal?
  • Am I going to hear much difference compared to a stereo pair of new Phantom 1 103 DB?
  • Am I going to give up in sound quality compared to the single Silver?

Curious about your thoughts.
I think you have done a smashing deal!
DOS2 means it's compatible with new developments and it is RAAT certified if you decide to start using Roon. Airplay is not an important feature (unless you're inside the walled Apple garden)
AFAIK there is no sound difference to Phantom I 103 DB and the Phantom White was actually the same as Silver apart from colour on the woofers and a bit less power (electronically restricted). Stereo Classics will even beat a single Gold in my view!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Congratulations on new speakers!
I think it's a good deal. You'll get old hardware, hence no AirPlay, but they should sound just as good as the Phantom I 103dB. I think you will be surprised to hear how much better it sounds with a pair of Phantoms compared to a single one, so you're in for a treat.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
If you can find an old Dialog for sale you can add it to your network and it will provide Airplay functionality to those older units.
You got a cracking deal there - much better than buying a second hand one which wouldn't have had the warranty.

I agree with the other posters that a stereo pair is the way to go as well and these deals won't last long as the supply of refurbished units is restricted by its very nature.

Enjoy your new purchase.
kantblue