Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi3 released
This is going to be interesting, especially when Win10 will be supported. With this, I can build a Roon Server with Devialet AIR. Its official case is small and beautiful, too. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

oooh now thats tantalising

but im guessing that will be reliant on Devialet supporting Win 10 IoT?
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
I have one on order.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Nick, you're quick. Awaits your implementation and test results.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Only 1 Gb RAM so Win10 IoT for Roon will be constrained - will make a nice end point though.
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
I hear the Pi3 still has a shared bus for USB/ethernet, which seemed to be the biggest point of concern with the 2 for audio use. Wonder if this will still be a problem?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

No they are no longer shared

Wrong.

The Raspberry Pi 3 shares the same SMSC LAN9514 chip as its predecessor, the Raspberry Pi 2, adding 10/100 Ethernet connectivity and four USB channels to the board. As before, the SMSC chip connects to the SoC via a single USB channel, acting as a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor and USB hub.

Source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspbe...enchmarks/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Ah, it was mentioned that Pi3 has no Ethernet but Wifi.

" The addition of this wireless connectivity also reduces the chance of bottlenecking the board. A gripe about earlier models of the Pi is that USB and Ethernet share the same data bus. This shared bus limits the data that can be passed to and from the Pi. Consequently when a user attempts to simultaneously pass large amounts of data over Ethernet and to a USB-attached device, say storage, data transfer rates can bog down.

The Pi 3's wireless LAN doesn't share the USB bus - lessening the constraints on network connectivity."

(01-Mar-2016, 11:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I hear the Pi3 still has a shared bus for USB/ethernet, which seemed to be the biggest point of concern with the 2 for audio use. Wonder if this will still be a problem?
What exactly is this concern? I've been using a Pi2 for a few months and haven't noticed any issues. I've seen this alluded to in places but never a proper explanation of what the issue might be for our usage (e.g. endpoint).
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution