Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud crackle / click when using Airport Express via Toslink
Loud crackling / click noises punctuate my listening when I listen via toslink from my AEX into my single Silver Phantom. It'll do it three or four times in a minute, then not for a few minutes. It's on the verge of being so irritating I can't listen like this. When I listen via Deezer or Tidal, no problems. Using latest versions of everything. I've done resets etc.

Andrew
(25-Feb-2016, 11:28)andrewhollo Wrote: Loud crackling / click noises punctuate my listening when I listen via toslink from my AEX into my single Silver Phantom. It'll do it three or four times in a minute, then not for a few minutes. It's on the verge of being so irritating I can't listen like this. When I listen via Deezer or Tidal, no problems. Using latest versions of everything. I've done resets etc.

Andrew

Just had the same problem, so I turned off the bluetooth in Spark on both Phantoms seems to have done the trick, I also use Airport via toslink. Hope this helps as it was doing my head in....
Mines an early pre-Bluetooth model ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrewhollo,

Are you getting the noise when streaming music from your computer to the APExp, but not if using Deezer or Tidal, also streamed to the APExp? If so, then then we could assume that the optical connection from the APExp. to the Phantom is not a problem. It may be something on the computer. If as Funky suggests, it is related to bluetooth, you could check to see if Bluetooth is active on your computer or your iPhone. Just a thought and an easy setting to change. 

Some expert users had some tapping noises, when using the phono input, and that seemed to be related to the USB auto discovery setting in the configurator. Someone else may remember which setting helped. Just another, more off-beat thought.
I don't have a Phantom but if you gave us more info about your system it would help others help you with the problem. Mac or Windows? Wired or wireless btw. computer and router? Wired or wireless btw router and APExp? OS version?

I never had any noise using an APExp from my iMac to my D120; the iMac was wireless to the router, but the APExp was connected with ethernet to the router.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(25-Feb-2016, 11:28)andrewhollo Wrote: Loud crackling / click noises punctuate my listening when I listen via toslink from my AEX into my single Silver Phantom. It'll do it three or four times in a minute, then not for a few minutes. It's on the verge of being so irritating I can't listen like this. When I listen via Deezer or Tidal, no problems. Using latest versions of everything. I've done resets etc.

Andrew

Same here. Using two phantom whites and optical via dialogue. Only affects listening over toslink. Also worth mentioning that I never had this issue before the latest 1.6.0.0 update.  Using Sony PS4 for video gaming/movies over toslink. 

I believe it is a software issue, perhaps digital jitter. Either way if enough people make a note of this issue the devialet software engineers should be able to fix it up (fingers crossed)
(25-Feb-2016, 23:20)Damon Wrote: Andrewhollo,

Are you getting the noise when streaming music from your computer to the APExp, but not if using Deezer or Tidal, also streamed to the APExp? If so, then then we could assume that the optical connection from the APExp. to the Phantom is not a problem. It may be something on the computer. If as Funky suggests, it is related to bluetooth, you could check to see if Bluetooth is active on your computer or your iPhone. Just a thought and an easy setting to change. 

Some expert users had some tapping noises, when using the phono input, and that seemed to be related to the USB auto discovery setting in the configurator. Someone else may remember which setting helped. Just another, more off-beat thought.
I don't have a Phantom but if you gave us more info about your system it would help others help you with the problem. Mac or Windows? Wired or wireless btw. computer and router? Wired or wireless btw router and APExp? OS version?

I never had any noise using an APExp from my iMac to my D120; the iMac was wireless to the router, but the APExp was connected with ethernet to the router.

I very much doubt it is Bluetooth related. Being a phantom user I noticed this issue after the latest update came about... Before then optical playback was never an issue. Also I have the same problem with different model phantoms and using a Sony PS4. It is definitely an optical issue ...