Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reactor bass response and volume - Advice please
Hi everyone, 

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I have a pair of Golds and a Dialog on DOS 1 which I absolutely love. I listen to everything from classical to bass heavy house and the Gold Phantoms are always engaging and fun to listen with.

Ive recently decided to get a reactor for travel and to add a second one later. I couldnt find any meaningful comparisons between the 600W and 900W versions and the frequency range was to same so I saved some money and bought a 600W model. However, I'm dissapointed with the volume and bass - I know its not a Gold Phantom whihc is my original frame of reference, and I know it will not go as loud, and I also know a stereo pair will sound much better!
But, before I commit to another 600W model I'm thinking maybe I should get a 900W instead and then get a second one later.

My question to anyone who's properly compared both; 
How much louder is the 900W, and how much more defined is the bass and bass impact? Maybe its a subjective question but if you stood in the same position as I am in now, what did you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for any input
I took the 600 as I couldn’t hear a difference at moderate volumes.

Did you compare bass of the 600 with stereo golds or 1 gold ?
Living Room: Devialet Dione
(26-Feb-2020, 10:09)RMK Wrote: I took the 600 as I couldn’t hear a difference at moderate volumes.

Did you compare bass of the 600 with stereo golds or 1 gold ?

I compared with stereo Golds. 

Obviously there’s no comparison, but if I use the reactor in a small 4mx4m bedroom, I have to crank it to nearly 100 to get any decent bass impact. Oddly enough the bass impact is better over Bluetooth than WiFi!

What I was wondering is whether the bass impact is better at loud volumes on the 900?
For those times when you want to crank up the volume..
I get the opposite to what you are experiencing. I too have a 4m x 4m room and I’ve never been abke to turn mine passed 65 . I find the bass unbelievable. Also i find the sound quality better with my music straight from the NAS drive using Ethernet cable than i get using Bluetooth. Is it possible you have a faulty Phantom, do the bass drivers move a lot? They should.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
I also noticed sound was a lot more powerful over Bluetooth than optical
Living Room: Devialet Dione
(26-Feb-2020, 11:12)Silvertouran Wrote: I get the opposite to what you are experiencing. I too have a 4m x 4m room and I’ve never been abke to turn mine passed 65 . I find the bass unbelievable. Also i find the sound quality better with my music straight from the NAS drive using Ethernet cable than i get using Bluetooth. Is it possible you have a faulty Phantom, do the bass drivers move a lot? They should.

I mean, they move according to whats playing.. And they look similar to youtube vids of Reactor 600 models.

I guess I'll go try another one at a store and compare.